lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Role
Gone Wild

Question 2001 Club Car Series 48v - Acc Pedal Jumping

2001 Club Car Series 48v - starting from a dead stop the cart starts out fine until about 5-7mph and at midway pedal position it dies out. If you push to the floor it will jump/jerk a few times pretty heavily and kick right into full sprint.

History of things already done and checked for:

1. Batteries are 6 Trojan - 8volts .. Readings on each battery are all at 8.5v
51.2 across the entire pack - even load tested - batteries are good. Ruled out batteries dropping under load.

2. Replaced MCOR with new one

3. Since NEW MCOR did not fix the jerking - I thought possibly I got a new defective one. Did the paper clip bypass - Still surging and jumping

3. New Forward / Reverse Switch - one that was initially on the cart had seen better days, all the copper contacts on the back of the switch had burn marks in them and one side had melted. The cause was some friends repeatedly slammed it in forward / reverse repeatedly without letting off accelerator and caused the switch some serious injury.

I believed the switch was the main cause of the jumping because it was hard to get into forward or reverse, which made me think the poor contact was causing the issue. Replaced with new forward / reverse - much easier to get into forw/rev now, but still jumping forward at mid throttle!

4. Put brand new cables 2 gauge wires on the batteries. Includes 2 longer cables for batt #1 and batt #6 to run to solenoid and controller.

One thing I noticed was cable was too thick to fit through the fused hole. So I put a new 4 gauge off neg battery to controller so it would fit and wouldn't cause charging and lockout problems.

I removed the stock left yellow cable off the solenoid that runs to the controller and put the new 2 gauge wire in place of it. Right side of solenoid large post is red 2 gauge cable running to battery.

5. Checked all inline fuses, checked for any corroded wires or bad wire lugs.

LASTLY
The only other thing I can think of - even though the solenoid is clicking and seems to be working properly, possibly it's the output side causing the issue
OR
The controller is dying on me.. I'm leaning towards try new solenoid

Any ideas guys?! I'm ready to feel smooth acceleration, this has been a project to say the least
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.9 KB, 0 views)
Role is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 Club Car Series 48v - Acc Pedal Jumping

The FNR should have not been damaged by moving it without releasing the accelerator if the limit switch was working and properly aligned as it would have shut down the solenoid during the movement.

If there was damage, then it is possible the solenoid got partially welded which means it will no longer provide a good electrical current path.

You can test that by temporarily moving both Solenoid cables to a single big post and driving the cart to see if the problem is still there.

Just keep in mind that the FNR lever moved to Neutral will be your emergency power disconnect should both the key Switch and MCOR switch fail simultaneously while testing the cart.

The kind of "plug brake" wild ride Your friends did can cause a lot of damage to the motor commutator and brushes.

Also, what is that small gauge wire on battery #4 positive post (24v connection)?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Role
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The FNR should have not been damaged by moving it without releasing the accelerator if the limit switch was working and properly aligned as it would have shut down the solenoid during the movement.

If there was damage, then it is possible the solenoid got partially welded which means it will no longer provide a good electrical current path.

You can test that by temporarily moving both Solenoid cables to a single big post and driving the cart to see if the problem is still there.

Just keep in mind that the FNR lever moved to Neutral will be your emergency power disconnect should both the key Switch and MCOR switch fail simultaneously while testing the cart.

The kind of "plug brake" wild ride Your friends did can cause a lot of damage to the motor commutator and brushes.

Also, what is that small gauge wire on battery #4 positive post (24v connection)?
Quote:

Great information and thanks.

The old f&r switch had completely melted through on one side and came off. So I still needed a new one. Uploaded a pic of the old one.

The (24v connection is for the LED light bar I added, it's variable from 12-36v .. So I took the medium of the two.

On the jumping throttle.. I added a 250ohm resistor across the large post and that made a significant improvement, however, it's now like having two start off points in the same pedal. Press lightly, moves fine, get midway and nothing, and then around 60-70% pedal it starts off like I'm starting from a stop and moves to full speed. Not an intense jerk like before without the resistor much calmer, but still awkward.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (138.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Role
Gone Wild

Update: Took the green and yellow wire off controller from the MCOR, tested ohms with meter set to 20k ohms
Started: 5.10ohms
Mid pedal: 3.30ohms
Fully depressed: 1.30ohms
Old 12-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your cart should have had a pre-charge resistor across the solenoid big posts from factory.

Make sure all small gauge wires are only attached to the solenoid Big Post on the battery side. There should only be one large cable and no other wires on the big post connected to the controller.

Go ahead and connect the cable from controller to the solenoid on top of the big post that already has the cable that goes to the battery.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Update: Took the green and yellow wire off controller from the MCOR, tested ohms with meter set to 20k ohms
Started: 5.10ohms
Mid pedal: 3.30ohms
Fully depressed: 1.30ohms
I suppose you meant those readings are in ?

Is this an MCOR4 conversion? What was there originally?
Old 12-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Role
Gone Wild

Quote:
I suppose you meant those readings are in ?

Is this an MCOR4 conversion? What was there originally?
Yes, that is what I meant..

And yes there should be a resistor on solenoid from factory but for some reason there was not.

There is only one smaller wire on large posts solenoid (red estimate 12 gauge wire. Does this look correct? Attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (152.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Without the pre-charge resistor in place there was an arc accross the solenoid contacts every time the solenoid closed.

I assume the cable with the RED shrink wrap goes to the battery, but according to the diagram I have for the Series model with an MCOR, there were originally more wires there, but they must be spliced together somewhere else if the cart is working.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac..._with_mcor.png
Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Role
Gone Wild

Quote:
Without the pre-charge resistor in place there was an arc accross the solenoid contacts every time the solenoid closed.

I assume the cable with the RED shrink wrap goes to the battery, but according to the diagram I have for the Series model with an MCOR, there were originally more wires there, but they must be spliced together somewhere else if the cart is working.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac..._with_mcor.png
Thank you for the chart, just looked at it and saw the other wires attached the large post.

Any ideas at this point? MCOR seems to be working, solenoid seems to be working. I'm just chasing my tail here
Old 12-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think the solenoid is working right, do the by-pass I mentioned to make sure the Solenoid contacts are not limiting the current.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car