lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
jelmhorst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Controller upgrade results

For those that went from stock setup to a controller, solenoid, F/R switch, possibly wire upgrade, how would you quantify your improvements after from stock? From Scotty's guide a user should see up to a 40% amperage increase with a 500amp controller.

With my '96 48v series club car, a stock setup for me is 10-12 on flat and 2-3mph on hills. What kind of improvement should I expect from a 500amp controller upgrade, upgraded switch, etc; it certainly won't add to the top end speed but as far as torque, does that mean an easier time up the hills, not necessarily speed? What have been your results?

The reason I ask, I feel as though I should spend the extra money on a 700amp and look to get the aftermarket motor down the line instead 500 and feel as though I've limited myself. If the results from the 5 are sufficient, that may be the route I go. My use is mainly up and down hills on a blacktop road with stock tires with 4 adults [for the time being but will avoid the oversized tires even then] so torque is more the measure of the day but I can't help but have the need for speed too!
jelmhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
DIRTPIT HC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Controller upgrade results

I did the 700 from Scotty but I went from 36'to 48v. My cart is also a hunting buggy with the D&D high torque motor. I carry some heavy loads up some pretty good hills and mud. I wouldn't think for a neighborhood cruiser you would need the 700. If you email Scotty from his web site he will get you on the right track. In my opinion he is a first rate guy and you'll be happy if you use him and his stuff.
DIRTPIT HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i went from stock 2000 48 volt series to 700 amp with a with a 36 volt motor, 4 ga cable and was pulling high 20's . after a few years the heat got to the S1 stud on the motor and melted it off. With having plenty of torque to climb up a wall i went with a PQ Rattle Snake II motor which i kept the torque i had and added more speed (low 30's). Just to add i did change cable to 2 ga when did the motor and its been great since 6/2013
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

One thing that is often overlooked in golf cart upgrades is the motor. The original motors in these carts are engineered for a cart on 18" tires, with 2 passengers, making short tips over moderate terrain for the game of golf.

Add big tires, extra seating, and steep hills and the original engineering goes right out the window.

The tires increase the gear ratio in a negative power aspect. The added weight loads the motor a negative power way, the steep terrain creates a trifecta challenge (meaning u got 3 major things stacked against good performance).

How much negative performance points you have against the cart depends upon several factors like the size and weight of the tires/wheels, the actual weight of any added modifications and loads carried, the consistency and angle of the footing and terrain.

I upgrade over 500 carts a year. No two builds are identical in all aspects of performance and use. I have concluded some general recommendations and I have posted these on my website. Click the link below to read more.

One of the most common requests I hear is how can I get more power and speed? Power (torque) and speed are in constant trade off in an electric motor. Generally speaking the higher rpm the motor spins the less torque it produces, this explains why the carts slow down to climb hills. These motors produce 100% of their power a 1 rpm.

Once we come to grips with the fact that this will be a modified golf cart not a side x side racer we can begin planning improvements. At this point I want to copy and past my website here but that seems silly so here is a link to upgrade suggestion page where I try to better explain what works, why, and where. Thanks for following the link > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
AWandKW
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I upgraded my stock controller and stock motor and couldn't be happier.
ScottyB was very helpful and his shipping speed was outstanding.
AWandKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
jelmhorst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I keep going back and forth between the 700 and 500, I can't help but feel as though at some point down the line I'll wish I had upgraded to the 7 when I go to upgrade the motor, even though I'm sure 5 is plenty sufficient for my purposes. If the more common sense part of me wins out and I decide on the 5, is the GE or Alltrax the better route? Scotty's website has become my cart bible so it sounds like the Alltrax for the heat dissipation properties? I'm not scientifically inclined enough to play with the programming. Either one have more pro's then the other? I'm sure reliability is a wash for both.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelmhorst View Post
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I keep going back and forth between the 700 and 500, I can't help but feel as though at some point down the line I'll wish I had upgraded to the 7 when I go to upgrade the motor, even though I'm sure 5 is plenty sufficient for my purposes. If the more common sense part of me wins out and I decide on the 5, is the GE or Alltrax the better route? Scotty's website has become my cart bible so it sounds like the Alltrax for the heat dissipation properties? I'm not scientifically inclined enough to play with the programming. Either one have more pro's then the other? I'm sure reliability is a wash for both.
In a draw I see the Alltrax control coming out on top.It has a 2yr warranty opposed to 1 yr. It has reverse polarity protection vs none. It has PC or laptop programming vs screwdriver. Your choice.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

the GE 700 amp controller is plug and play and it works well. Trust me you wont be disappointed and no 2nd guessing later if you went to small .

Go Big Or Dont Go At All !!!
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
jelmhorst
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well just placed the order for the 700, super duty F/R contractor, 2 AWG cables and the voltage reducer for good measure. I figured an extra hundred when I'm already spending that much money on a toy I'll never second guess it. As always, the easy part was spending the money, the hard part is going to be putting it all together now.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I was just wondering if the HD F/R Switch is a necessity when upgrading the controller. I just purchased a 500 series controller from Scotty but forgot to ask about this. Thoughts?
Stripes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car