lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
custom carts
THE CUSTOM KID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gonkulor, The Project

project looks awsome post lots of pictures we love pictures keep up the good job
custom carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
It's going to look magnificent when it's done! And if you think you have rust, you should see mine I noticed in one of your pics the building your in has bent wood beams. Is it an old quonset hut? Just nosy and curious!
Yuppers, it's an old quonset. Behind the door, in the frame picture, I have a finished bed/bathroom with it's own entrance. I wouldn't call the building a shop nor much of a garage being the door is too much of a pita for daily use. Mostly it's just storage and a concrete slab for doing stuff like this and changing oil.

I see lots of carts with more rust than mine. I notice in fishb8's thread his frame was suggested as scrap by some, but he came through well.

madoc1 I will be learning to wire feed Friday with this Millermatic 185. The big "must do" commented by many friends is to push the puddle vs. gas pulling. And ya, if I make a bad weld I'll just grind it off, rinse repeat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-13 15.47.35.jpg (266.9 KB, 20 views)
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #13
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Frame and battery tray fixing

It's official, I'm not going to become a professional welder. I think I ground off more than I am left with but oh well, kinda fun actually. I am getting the penetration so that's all that really matters.

I still have to tidy up a few welds and possibly replace a couple more hangers for the battery tray, I just don't like the rust. I did wire brush everywhere I planned to weld and lathered the steel with Ospho yesterday. I also didn't measure how much angle I needed for the battery tray and had to make do. It should all be good when I'm done. The floor beam had to be made from 1 1/4" flat welded to 1 1/4" "L" angle to make the required "Z" channel.

Here are the pictures.

I did get this much done yesterday.

Got this done by noon.

Frame troubles required me to wrap them in "C" channel

I was happy when I got this far.

I can't do any more welding till I get more gas, started with 1100psi and finished with 200psi. Not too bad for my first time welding, I'm pleased enough.

Besides the welding, I ordered all needed differential parts yesterday. I called Andrew at East Coast Carts and he was helpful answering a few of my questions. He suggested I think about regearing the differential since I was already in there.

*Sigh. That's what I get for calling ECC and not just ordering everything online. I added the 8:1 gearing. Yuppers, I did it! Those parts should arrive late next week. I suppose I should think about adding 2 more batteries and a controller now. OH BOY! Here I go again!

Be well all.
Gonk
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

it looks good so far. You have successfully opened the door of metal fabrication. The sky is the limit/ You could just run 6/8volts ... Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default New 8:1 gear and bearings.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I need to update my theme. I don't know how I got the rat rod in my head. I meant to say classic hot rod, big difference now that I've edumacated myself. I was looking at the old marathon drivers club and got up to page 35 of 86ish. I did see someone fab'd a round rear from aluminum. I need to stumble onto his build thread. I'll keep looking.

For thread update I dropped my frame off at the powder coater. I had changed my mind to just media blast the frame and POR15 it, but since his price was so reasonable I decided to just have him coat it. I'll pick it up next Friday.

All of my differential parts but one axle shaft and two bearings came in so I got to putting it back together. then I primed and painted. I will need to do a finish coat tomorrow since it was getting dark and I couldn't see what I was doing anymore.

Here's the juice.

pushing out the old intermediate half.

I love wax on new parts!

New parts are pressed and torqued, here are some pictures of new/old for comparison.

Assemble time!

And paint.

Next couple items are to pull the armature out of the motor, replace the bearing and brushes. Clean up my front steering components. Take inventory of all hardware for replacement with new.

Best Regards
Gonk
Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

lookin good gonk. those are some great pics!
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Very detailed pictures of the rear end. Keep up the great work. Gears are always exciting!!

............any daytime pics of the painted rear end? Paint looks good.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Looking good Gonk
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looks good. Your this far in it, just call Plum Quick and those silly motor issues go away.

My two cents :)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Looks good. Your this far in it, just call Plum Quick and those silly motor issues go away.

My two cents :)
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO