lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

Default On Board Charger

Since I didn't get a charger with 96 txt I bought I thought I would use a marine charger I have sitting around, anybody see any issues with using a on board marine charger?

specs.
■volts: 12/24/36
■amps: 30
■banks: 3
■charge rate: 300 amps / 10hrs
■cable size: 6’/6'/6'
■size: 3”x 15.5” x 6 7/8”
■AC: 90-135

Features
Advanced Electronic, Fully Automatic 3-Step Marine Battery Charger ■Distributed On-Demand Charging - Automatically senses and distributes a full 10, 15 or 30 amps (model specific) to any one bank or combination of all banks.
■Faster Charging - 2 to 3 times faster than traditional battery chargers with true 3 step charging technology. Each step is electronically controlled for the fastest charge.
■Professional Performance - 100% battery charge guaranteed. 100% charging output with AC power as low as 90 VAC while using long extension cords at the dock, lodging site or home. Proven to condition and extend the life of your batteries.
■Compact Lightweight Design - Rugged Space Saver all aluminum housing is half the height of leading traditional chargers. Unit is not potted and is completely serviceable for lifetime of use under ProMariner's lifetime repair guarantee.
■Easy Operation - Pre-wired for easy installation. On-board Push-to-Test charge level and mode indicators . Internal battery selection-lead acid, gel or AGM compatible.
■True 3 Step Charging Electronically controlled for the Fastest Charge
■Step 1: Fast Charge - Charger delivers maximum amperage to batteries for the fastest charge (current regulation mode) until battery voltage is raised to 14.6 VDC.
■Step 2: Absorption Charge - Maximizes charge and holds voltage at 14.6 VDC for 3 hours (voltage regulation mode) reducing sulfate buildup and conditions batteries.
■Step 3: Float Mode - A precision 13.3 VDC finishing voltage that maintains your batteries, (step down voltage regulation mode) which is perfect for short or long storage periods and will never overcharge your batteries.

■Faster Charging 100% Charge Guaranteed ProMariner's advanced electronic technology will deliver 2 times the amps to your batteries in the same amount of time when compared to leading traditional linear chargers. That means the ProTournament will charge your batteries twice as fast.
■ProTournament's Distributed On-Demand Charging will automatically distribute its full rated output of 10, 15 or 30 amps (model specific) to any one bank or combination of all battery banks. ProTournament distributes and uses every charging amp with no waste unlike other 2 and 3 bank chargers with an amp limit per bank.
jkrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: On Board Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrash View Post
--------------
■Step 1: Fast Charge - Charger delivers maximum amperage to batteries for the fastest charge (current regulation mode) until battery voltage is raised to 14.6 VDC.
■Step 2: Absorption Charge - Maximizes charge and holds voltage at 14.6 VDC for 3 hours (voltage regulation mode) reducing sulfate buildup and conditions batteries.
■Step 3: Float Mode - A precision 13.3 VDC finishing voltage that maintains your batteries, (step down voltage regulation mode) which is perfect for short or long storage periods and will never overcharge your batteries.
----------------
That might not fully charge your battery pack.

1. Voltage too low, needs to go up higher than 43.8V for a 36V pack. Most golf cart chargers take the voltage up to about 45V.

2. Three hours at 14.6V per bank, may not be long enough to recharge a 225 AH battery that has been discharged very much.

3. That is a good feature. Given enough time, it would eventually fully charge golf cart batteries.

------------
Of course, it would be better than not charging the batteries.

-------------

Give it a try, it might do the job for you. The only issues I have is the low voltage in the bulk and absorption phases.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
SHAWN DAVIS
Gone Wild

I went thru 2 of the pro mariners, a refirbished and a new one. needless to say I was out about 600.00 and still had weak batteries
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWN DAVIS View Post
I went thru 2 of the pro mariners, a refirbished and a new one. needless to say I was out about 600.00 and still had weak batteries
Think I might be better off selling the pro mariner and picking up a different charger. What's a good charger to buy?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is what I use: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

User selectable charge profiles.
Uses dV/dT to terminate charge.
Goes onto float charge mode after regular charge terminates.

----------
For an On board charger, this is what I would go with: http://quickcharge.com/
Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

I found a powerwise charger from someone on this forum, it's model number 28115 G01, is that a good one and will it plug into a 96 txt? Also what's the difference G01 and G04?

I also found a 3 wire digital volt meter, that I plan on installing, I should be able to hook this up to the battery pak and to the key switch to turn it off and on, (I hope)
Here's how they describe the wires

Yellow line: measuring signal input
Red line: power supply line
Black: public cathode

I hope a public cathode is a ground. LOL

I installed 4g cables and plan on buying batteries very soon
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The Powerwise 28115 is a charger using a ferroresonant transformer design that has been used to charge golf cart batteries for many years.

I'm not sure what the difference between the G01 and G04 is, but it might be different output plug styles.

----------

"Public cathode" could mean "common negative", so you might be right.

Wiring color codes are fairly universal even though language isn't, so my guess would be Red and Black are the + and - terminals and the yellow is the remote on/off.

------------

When you get your new batteries, be sure to fully charge them prior to first use and the break them in properly.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
jkrash
Getting Wild

Columbia

Thanks again for the info, I'll be sure to read up on battery care before I install them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO