lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Gcwickham
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 PDS Ez go

I have a 02 ez go. when i got it to the shop its problem was it would be going and just stop in the middle of a round of golf. now it will not do anything! the solenoid used to click the reverse horn use to sound but doenst do nothing now. dad tried to.check the solenoid but shorted something out and the controller burnt up but i got a new controller put in the batteries are charged. i tested the solenoid and it clicks out of the cart. the motor is fine also.. like i said when i got the cart it attempted to move and the solenoid clicked with the old controller but it was burnt inside and i installed a new one and still nothing. Some one drop some knowledge on me!
Gcwickham is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 PDS Ez go

The PDS is basically a "Fly-by-Wire" system.
The controller does everything and the various switches just tell the controller what to do.

Getting the solenoid to click is a two step process.
First the solenoid has to be armed (B+ on yellow wire)
a. Battery charger plug not inserted into cart's charge receptacle
b. Run/Tow in Run
c. Keyswitch ON
d. F/R in either F or R
Second, it has to be activated (B- on blue wire)
a. Pedal is pushed.
b. Or cart is rolling at 2mph or more without pedal being pushed ( Walk away safety triggered)

The first thing I would check is for battery pack voltage on the small wire coming out of the cart's charge receptacle.
The cart going dead without warning is often cause by the reed switch failing. See attached picture.

Also, here is a schematic with solenoid activation circuit highlighted.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Gcwickham
Not Yet Wild

Could there be something else that is causing the solenoid not to work. ive dont both steps and the solenoid still does not click. also, does the reed switch only have to deal with charging or does it work during normal operation?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Lots of things can keep the solenoid from clicking.

You have to have B+ (FULL batter pack voltage) at the following pins before the controller will energize the solenoid:

!!!!!! Be sure to place Run/Tow switch to Tow before Disconnecting or reconnecting anything electrical !!!!!!

!!!!!! Jack rear wheels off ground and put rear of half ton cart on jack-stands so it doesn't run over somebody or something while troubleshooting!!!!!!!!

Using a DVM (Digital Volt Meter), measure and record battery pack voltage to the nearest 1/10 volt. (IE: Fully charged 36V battery pack will be 38.2V or slightly above.)

Leave DVM negative test lead attached to battery pack's main negative terminal.

With Run/Tow = Run, Keyswitch = ON, F/R = F and Pedal depressed, measure voltage at: (While Plugs are inserted into Jacks)
J1 Pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 9
J3 Pins 1, 2, 3 & 4
J4 Pins 1 & 2

Every one of the 13 test points listed should have FULL battery pack voltage.

If any are less than full battery pack voltage, fix the switch and/or wires attached to that switch. (Pin numbers and switches shown on schematic attached to previous post.)

-----------
Reed Switch:
The reed switch isn't actually part of the charging circuit.
It disables the cart when a magnet is brought into close proximity of it.
The charger plug has a magnet in it, which disables cart when charger's plug is plugged into cart's receptacle. (Charger does not have to be charging cart, just plugged in to it.)

Due to the high failure rate, EZGO stopped putting reed switches in their carts circa 2007.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Gcwickham
Not Yet Wild

the reed switch was th problem. i now have it to move in reverse fine but 1 thing is when i put it.in forward there is nothing. th solenoid does not click or anything!??!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Check the 13 test points I listed above.

If all the test points have battery pack voltage, the controller is probably bad.

Note: When F/R is in R, J1 Pin-2 will have B+ on it rather than J1 Pin-3.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Gcwickham
Not Yet Wild

The cart has a brand new NCX aftermarket controller on it so I dont believe it is the controller and I knkw its not the f/r switch because i can switch th wires around on it and the cart still has reverse but no forward. confused why solenoid clicks and controller shows good while the cart is in reverse but when you put it back in forward its dead.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suppose it could be a bad F&R rocker? Just seems a curious time for it to go 'bad' ... Have you tested it?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcwickham View Post
The cart has a brand new NCX aftermarket controller on it so I dont believe it is the controller and I knkw its not the f/r switch because i can switch th wires around on it and the cart still has reverse but no forward. confused why solenoid clicks and controller shows good while the cart is in reverse but when you put it back in forward its dead.
When asking questions, please include this information, so the people that are trying to provide an answer aren't troubleshooting the wrong system.

An aftermarket controller adds a whole new dimension to the troubleshooting process.

Either the NCX to PDS adapter or the controller is bad.

BTW - New doesn't mean good, it just increases the probability it it being so.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Gcwickham
Not Yet Wild

It was neither the adapter or the controller. I cleaned the FNR switch with emry cloth and it lit up and runs fine now. Thanks all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO