lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
Daved
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2000 ezgo txt standard (pds) forward only

Hi guys, I am very new to this. I picked up this cart on sunday. its a 2000 txt standard (pds) 36v. The FnR switch is by my right knee. With the switch in forward the cart moves forward, with the switch in reverse the beep sounds and the cart moves forward also. I tried the diagnostic mode and it just tells me pack voltage low. Is this the sign of a bad controller? I have the run/tow toggle on the controller cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks--Dave
Daved is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 ezgo txt standard (pds) forward only

Welcome to BGW!

Sounds like you've got one of the rare PDS carts made in early 2000 with the F/R by the knee instead of a rocker switch on the dash.
It still works the same, just the switch is different.

Basically, the PDS is a "Fly-by-Wire" system and the controller does everything. The external switches just tell the controller what to do.

Since the reverse beeper sound when lever is put in R, the controller is being told to send current through the field windings in the opposite direction from forward, but it isn't doing it, so the controller may be bad. However, there is the possibility it may not be operating properly because the battery voltage is low.

What is the battery pack voltage?
A fully charged 36V battery pack will be 38.2V and fully charged 6V batteries will be 6.37V.

Since you are new to carts, a quick overview.
The battery pack is the heart of the system.
Lead-acid deep-cycle wet-cell batteries have no memory.
The batteries should be charged after each use.

For a better understanding of batteries, go to this site and read everything with the word battery in the title. Tons of good info.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html

If you haven't already, charge the batteries and see if it works right.
If not, the controller is probably defective, but some tests need to be made to be sure.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Based on years of service and repair, all similar complaints were caused by bad controllers.
This is a good opportunity for an upgrade.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Sounds like you've got one of the rare PDS carts made in early 2000 with the F/R by the knee instead of a rocker switch on the dash.
It still works the same, just the switch is different.
Just curious, does it have a normal series style FNR, or is it different. If it's a normal FNR, does it use the big lugs or just micro-switches on the cam?

If a controller fails to change directions, could a series FNR be used to reverse either the rotor or stator winding direction, or is it only a matter of time before the controller fails completely?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Daved
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the cover off the controller today and found that the resistor that runs across the solenoid was broken. What will this do to me? I have removed the 6 6volt batts last night and did the epsom salt treatment to them. I have been charging 2 of them at a time with my 12volt charger. The cart came with a lestronic II 36 volt charger. It seemed to shut off only after an hour or so with it plugged in. Cart ran for 1 minute and died. I tested each batt with a load tester and found 2 of them that were low. I am trying equalize these 2 with a single 6volt charger on each before I assemble all 6 back into the cart. Will that resistor being broken have ruined my controller?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just curious, does it have a normal series style FNR, or is it different. If it's a normal FNR, does it use the big lugs or just micro-switches on the cam?

If a controller fails to change directions, could a series FNR be used to reverse either the rotor or stator winding direction, or is it only a matter of time before the controller fails completely?
I've never seen the F/R switch use on the few 2000 PDS carts with the F/R lever by the knee, but they used the same PDS controller, so it puts B+ on J1 Pin-3 for forward and B+ on J1 Pin-2 for reverse just like the dash mounted rocker switch does. Probably a modified version of a DCS F/R switch, which has no high current contacts.

It would take some rewiring, but you probably could use a series F/R to switch the field winding on a sepex motor.
However, doing it might cost as much as replacing the controller if you didn't happen to have a spare F/R assemble and the needed cables in your stash, and it would most likely be only a matter of time before something else in the controller failed.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daved View Post
I took the cover off the controller today and found that the resistor that runs across the solenoid was broken. What will this do to me? I have removed the 6 6volt batts last night and did the epsom salt treatment to them. I have been charging 2 of them at a time with my 12volt charger. The cart came with a lestronic II 36 volt charger. It seemed to shut off only after an hour or so with it plugged in. Cart ran for 1 minute and died. I tested each batt with a load tester and found 2 of them that were low. I am trying equalize these 2 with a single 6volt charger on each before I assemble all 6 back into the cart. Will that resistor being broken have ruined my controller?
The resistor is used to pre-charge the filter capacitors in the controller so the Solenoid contacts don't arc as much when the close. Running without it won't hurt the controller, but the solenoid will wear out sooner.

-----------
Some people have had varying degrees of temporary success with some of the snake oil treatments, but if they truly worked, the battery companies would have gone out of business years ago.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Daved
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a little update. I have charged the batteries to full capacity and the cart still moves forward with the selector in reverse or forward. When in reverse though it moves much slower. The selector switch is by my right knee and only has the micro switches that ride the cam. I have cleaned every electrical connection on the motor and batteries and controller. I broke down the other day and ordered a new controller for it. I will update again after I receive it. Lots of good info on this forum. Love it!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Daved
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Final update on my thread here. I received my new controller today and now my cart works as it should. Reverse is working good and so is forward. Thank you for the help. I plan to sell this cart now and get a gas one if I can find a good deal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO