lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Making an endurance cart

Sorry if this is a duplicate... I could not find my first post and looks like it failed during the post thread step.

Hey everyone great info on here thanks to all you guys for sharing. I'm new of course and sure I have stupid questions but I'm having dificulty in finding answers to endurance info. I just bought a 1988 EZgo 36v 3wheel cart that will be use for rallies and camp grounds. I dont want to make it fast or lift it... I want to make it an endurance monster and run for long periods of time. The batteries are currently only lasting for about 15 mins, so I'm sure new batteries are needed, and since I need to invest in those was wondering if there were any recomendations. Couple of questions so far listed below.
1. when the pedal is pushed and the sweeper arm on the speed control contacts the first couple of post, the solenoid clicks but the cart doesnt move. As the sweeper arm hits the 3rd or 4th post it arcs and then goes. The arc only occurs at contact and is not sustained. Is this normal??
2. How long should a normal 36v charge last on good batteries, and is there a way to increase the time (some batteries better than others)?
3. Can you add solar to the roof and does it help?
4. This is to be a party machine so I will set up a seperate 12v for that to keep it isolated from the drive system, any suggestions?

Thanks again for everyone's help
Dumbo
3WheelDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Making an endurance cart

A good battery pack should give 100 minutes of normal operation. The larger the battery capacity the longer the cart will run.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
crash test dummy

#1 not good ... mine engages with pedal and no arc you may need to clean it or replace it
#2 run time depends on terrain, load , & condition of cart/ batteries .. yes you can get batteries that have longer run times ...Trojan T-145 6V is a good Battery
#3 imho .. no, to get a panel to "help" the battery pack would not fit on your roof and weight would crush it
#4 http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ry-advise.html
Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys..
#1 was wondering about that, but it looks way newer than everything else I think it was recently replaced, Can you adjust it? I'll double check the wiring as well to make sure nothing was reversed. Would the arcing cause excessive battery drain? My guess is yes since I was playing sparky with it trying to figure it out. lol
#3.. thought the same thing, but there are kits out there... looks like snake oil to me
#4. Thanks, that was the direction I was going so confirmation is a grand thing
Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3WheelDumbo View Post
Thanks guys..
#1 was wondering about that, but it looks way newer than everything else I think it was recently replaced, Can you adjust it?
make sure all wires are tight

i think this diagram for your cart
Wiring for 83-93 resistor cart
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
3WheelDumbo
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks CTD... Opened it up when I got home tonight and found that the contact on the sweeper arm is worn / arced so bad it is at a 45degree angle and the contactors are all at different heights and arced badly with boils and pits all over them. Took a file to all of them the best I could and ran it. Initially it ran great with little to no arcing, after about a hour and a half up long slow grades, steep hills and varied speeds it started with the arcing again and battery juice dropped. Think I'm gonna order some new contactor studs and a new contactor assembly for the arm. Sure feel better about the battery live now, the arcing zapps the gogo out of 'em.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
crash test dummy

Old 05-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If your cart is a resistor cart, it will never be an endurance monster. The way a resistor cart controls speed is by dumping a portion of available power into resistors (heaters) and the rest goes to the motor. Unless you keep the pedal to the floor, you're wasting valuable battery power.

Some resistor carts can be upgraded to controller carts, but it's pretty pricey.

Driving habits can affect endurance. Just 'cause I said you're wasting power if your pedal isn't to the floor doesn't necessarily mean "punch it". Accelerate at a decent rate, but if possible, floor the thing and keep it there. If you can't, punchin' it, then letting off won't necessarily give you more run time.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO