lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Robinoso
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 ezgo won't hold charge

I parked behind a friends cart and didn't realize my headlamps had come on. I had it charging and day later I come out to see low lamps on. I turned them off and let charge for 3 days. I take the cart out and dying within 30 min.

Do you think I've killed a battery(ies)? Could something else have gone wrong?

No corrosion, fill water monthly and no arcs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and if there are spelling errors, blame my iPhone...not my laziness.
Robinoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 2008 ezgo won't hold charge

If you don't have a converter, your "lights" may be wired to two of the batteries in the pack for 12 volts. If it is, those two batteries should be charged seperately with a 12 volt automotive charger to bring their SOC up to the rest of the pack. After the seperate 12 v. charge, run a full charge cycle on the total pack with your cart charger, making sure to let the charger "finish" (auto. shutoff) on its own. This should help to equalize the pack to some degree. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have seen many times where an event like this can be the final blow to an older pack. Take a voltmeter and check the batteries individually, post the readings here. (take readings 12 hrs AFTER charging)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Robinoso
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
If you don't have a converter, your "lights" may be wired to two of the batteries in the pack for 12 volts. If it is, those two batteries should be charged seperately with a 12 volt automotive charger to bring their SOC up to the rest of the pack. After the seperate 12 v. charge, run a full charge cycle on the total pack with your cart charger, making sure to let the charger "finish" (auto. shutoff) on its own. This should help to equalize the pack to some degree. Good luck - RAY
I never looked to see if there is, but I don't believe it has one and if it does it wasn't added until a radio install. I bought it rebuilt and hadn't had this issue. Ill check into it, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and if there are spelling errors, blame my iPhone...not my laziness.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Robinoso
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I have seen many times where an event like this can be the final blow to an older pack. Take a voltmeter and check the batteries individually, post the readings here. (take readings 12 hrs AFTER charging)
Hoping to get one from friend to test. When you say after do you mean charge full and unplug then test or charge unplug let sit for 12 and test.

Sorry battery novice!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinoso View Post
Hoping to get one from friend to test. When you say after do you mean charge full and unplug then test or charge unplug let sit for 12 and test.Sorry battery novice!

This is what he means.....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Robinoso
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for help. Guy used a tool on battery that had lamps connected to and after sitting for the 12 hrs it has 4 mins left. Ha. Tried getting it back up but I think it's toast. He said I should be able to get just 1 new as others are 2012 and are in good shape.

I hear buy sets but they are fairly new.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinoso View Post
...............I hear buy sets but they are fairly new.
The six 6V batteries in the battery pack are connected in series to produce 36V, and they are charged in series with a 36V charger, so they have to be matched fairly closely or they don't charge properly.

If at all possible, replace the bad battery with one about the same age & condition as the rest and has the same Amp-Hour rating.

Second best would be to replace the bad battery with a new battery that is the same make and model as the other batteries.
Within the first few weeks, the new battery will age rapidly and acquire the reduced storage capacity and performance of the older batteries it is in series with and will need to be replaced at the same time they are, even though it is younger.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO