lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
jbrock1141
Not Yet Wild

Default Need new batteries??

6 6v excide batteries unknown age

batteries charge to 39.6
during acceleration on flat pavement 34.xx levels out to 35.7
after initial discharge at rest was 38.4
uphill on grass(normal rolling golf course hills) 33.6 levels out to 35.3-35.4 on level grass
drove for 45 minutes voltage at rest was at 37.4

didn't have time to do an individual battery load test. the gauge showed just over 3/4 charge after 40 minutes of driving around it used to last 18 holes no problem, i followed some friends around yesterday for 5 holes and it was at 3/4 charge Its my uncles cart and he said he used it last weekend and "it drove great, the first quarter went kinda fast then it went down slower after that. It was at 1/4 charge when we were finished" I think hes in denial about needing new batteries. From what i understand you don't want your batteries to drop below 50% charge and one round of golf shouldn't be an issue?? what do you guys think/know from your experiences.
jbrock1141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need new batteries??

I would ask a few questions....you said the batteries charge to 39.6......is that the reading when the charger shuts off? what is the reading after they have set for 12 hrs? do you have a digital volt meter (gas gauge) or the old stock style?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
jbrock1141
Not Yet Wild

The initial voltage reading was right after I unplugged the charger, the cart had not moved. I attached the DIGITAL Fluke meter, took the acceleration reading and the voltage as it settled down while driving away. I knew the initial number was "good", actually seemed higher than indicates a good battery range. That is why I threw in the voltage reading after the initial load was placed on the batteries.

Im leaning toward just replacing them for him, I plan on using it again so its the least I can do to help out with cart stall rent and not having to buy my own. We can get 6 Trojan T-105's installed for $600.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

well considering the reading you posted was right after the charging sequence, they were very low.....if they were fully charged, they should have been reading about 45.3 volts and would settle, after about 12 hrs, to about 38.3 volts.

So I am thinking its time for new batteries.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

could be a bad cell in a battery if the batteries die quick or the cart just don't have as much power, if you don't have a load tester then just read each battery while trying to put a load on it(like holding the brake while on the gas pedal for a short time). if you got 1 battery that's low in voltage it will hurt the rest of the pack
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
jbrock1141
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I think they are at least 5 years old. At this point I think replacing one would be to temporary of a fix. They are all on their way out Im sure. They do a lot of sittin in the heat. He always rides with someone else so if I don't use it, it only gets used 2x a year. If I'm gonna use it more often I don't want to worry about getting stranded, that would be the only more embarrassing thing other than my actual golf game.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO