lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Ac Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonGolf View Post
WOW!! Thanks for the update. Love the numbers you are throwing out there. That sounds totally exciting to me. Not sure about the Lithium battery though. Seems quite high. I was actually thinking of going with this kit.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...olf-Carts.html

Maybe the HPEV sounds better. I am going to look at the cart tomorrow. If I buy it, I will fix a few things, let my Mom use it at there park over the winter and then bring it back, strip it down, go through the whole thing. New paint and all and the AC conversion. That is kind of my plan. I know everyone has their preferences, would the Yamaha G19 be a good platform to start with?

Thanks
I feel that the kit on your link is a HPEV kit offered by that business. The G19 is a good starting platform. But, the G22 is even better, more modern steering design (rack & pinion) and a McPherson strut design for the front suspension. The G19 is not a bad front suspension, but it is a dated design compared to the much "tighter" feel of the G22 steering. The G22 controller location is prefered in my opinion, away from the batteries acids. I was thinking you already had a G19, if you had the option, i would look for a G22 (my favorite electric yamaha model). The easiest way to spot a G22 vs a G19/G16/G14 (the body is identical) is the parking brake latch, it goes all the way across the top of the pedal on all older models. The parking brake latch is only in the top corner of the brake pedal on a G22.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Well That is certainly good information to know. I do not have the G19 now. I am looking for a project for later. Hey, but maybe I should just go buy the new Yamaha AC drive. Then bump up the motor and controller. for speed and torque.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Im sure there will be no "plug & play" upgrades for a while. We havent even got our first batch yet (im gettin all excited, it may still happen this week)...
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:10 AM   #14
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking View Post
Just finnished a conversion on an EZ-GO TXT. It is expensive. I paid right around $2400 for the AC9 motor and 650 amp Curtis Controller. I also spent another $2500 on a 48 volt Lithium battery which shaved 300 pounds of weight off. So like was said, great if you can afford it. Oh I changed out the differential gear to 8:1. End result is 40 mph and it gets to 40 very quickly because with the AC 9 motor, 650 amp controller and the hard source of lithium generate a lot of torque, flat torque of 70 pounds peak from 0 RPM up to 5000 RPM. DC motors cannot do that. So acceleration is quick from start to 5000 RPM

With a 650 amp controller at 48 volt battery continuous HP is 10 hp and peak is 30 hp at 2500 RPM
How's the torque from a dead stop? Can you pull up to a high curb, touch the wheels, stop, then drive right over with no problems?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #15
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonGolf View Post
Well That is certainly good information to know. I do not have the G19 now. I am looking for a project for later. Hey, but maybe I should just go buy the new Yamaha AC drive. Then bump up the motor and controller. for speed and torque.
If you buy a new aftermarket AC motor and controller for "upgrade" you certainly don't need to start with a brand new AC cart. You can use any cart.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So are you saying I could purchase like a 2007-2012 Yamaha electric cart and just change out the motor and controller? Wouldn't there be other wiring involved?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #17
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you buy a brand new AC Drive there will probably never be plug and play controller upgrades for it. Therefore you would be stuck with what you got IMO.

If you bought almost any DC cart then there are kits available to change the DC controller and motor to an AC system. Yes there will be some wiring by the installer but most is already designed into the kit.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #18
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Well I drove the new AC Yamaha cart and I certainly love it. The speed and torque are great. The cost is kind of prohibitive. About 8-10 K out the door. If I bought a used Yamaha and put in the kit, I assume I would still have about 5-7K. Then a used cart and who knows what other issues. My current Yamaha is probably worth about 5500. It is gas and I am torn whether to change just to be able to use my cart on the courses where I live currently. I Love my cart.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM   #19
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
Wow!!! Thanks for posting prices. Hopefully that included a new charger and cables too..
No that is all extra.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #20
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
How's the torque from a dead stop? Can you pull up to a high curb, touch the wheels, stop, then drive right over with no problems?
No problem with the 650 amp controller from 0 to 2000 RPM is a flat 70 pound peak. Not sure how that stacks up to say a 48 volt Series DC motor because I have never seen a power graph. But I doubt they can match that torque and no way could a DC motor be flat from 0 to 2000 RPM.

EDIT NOTE:

Bison you can try to do what I did. Find a dealer, large volume dealer and tell them what you want to do and looking for a Donor cart. I did that and got a 48 volt TXT dirt cheap. It was stripped of batteries, motor, and controller but had everything else for $600. Body had some scratches and scrapes but nothing a new paint job will not fix. The place I bought it from was even willing to do the conversion cheap because they had never done one, and would do it cheap just to gain the experience providing I allowed them to take pictures and document the project for PR and Marketing. I might have screwed up doing it myself because they could buy things like tires, wheels, speed gears a lot cheaper than I could. So I advise shop and look around, you might just get a really good deal, especially being winter when the dealers/shops are hungry for work/sales.

Good luck.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha