lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Neonjohn
Not Yet Wild

Default 2005 electric yamaha dead in the water

I went to leave, turned on the key and nothing happens. Batteries are new and both fuses on the battery pack are good. The charge level light on the left side of the dash is dark. A friend told me that the inverter has died. Does that sound right? Where can I get an inverter and about how much do they run?

I have 53 volts across the battery pack and the cables are tight.

Thanks,
Neonjohn
Neonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Default Re: 2005 electric yamaha dead in the water

I've never heard of an inverter on any golf cart. Did they mean a reducer or a controller?
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #3
Neonjohn
Not Yet Wild

There is a device with fins that is about 6 inch by 10 inches that sits on the inside of the left wheel well. It is powered by a 25 amp fuse on the battery package. It powers all the non drive motor electronics. It could be a voltage reducer.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Ok, it's a voltage reducer. Usually a blown reducer wouldn't render the cart inoperable though
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

So, has the cart been driveable lately, since new batteries? Did you try cycling the tow/run switch? Does the reverse beeper operate (if it has been working)? On this model of cart, a bad dc/dc convertor wont make the cart not run.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Neonjohn
Not Yet Wild

Nothing works. No lights, turn signals or voltage use gauge. Its like the batteries were not hooked up. battery connections are good and i get voltage from side to side. The tow switch has been cycled several times.

I gave up and had the local dealer come get.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Phil4Yamaha
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

did you find the issue? Sometimes the run / tow switch goes bad. Otherwise check the continuity on all wires. Internal failure of the controller, would cause a no movement problem.
Phil4Yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #8
Neonjohn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil4Yamaha View Post
did you find the issue? Sometimes the run / tow switch goes bad. Otherwise check the continuity on all wires. Internal failure of the controller, would cause a no movement problem.
The dealer replaced the voltage reducer unit. All is now good in world. As to what the problem really was........who knows.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Handchops
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonjohn View Post
The dealer replaced the voltage reducer unit. All is now good in world. As to what the problem really was........who knows.
Electricity? Does anyone understand? Could a bad reducer pull all current away from the motor? Just curious electrical stuff always eludes me.
Handchops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Abnormal electrical draw from a 48v -> 12v dc/dc convertor for lights has been known to occasionally give "mixed signals" to the motor controller, causing it to decide something is wrong (and shut down). Sounds "un-plausible", but i have seen it before, and it is usually mis-diagnosed as a bad motor controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha