lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #11
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is Controller or OBC Bad

I do not know what kind of charger he had originally, but he said someone by-passed the OBC (the fuse is gone from grey wire) and now he has a 48 vdc charger that when plugged in starts charging. It is a DeltaVolt Model 4815,
48v/15amp Eagle Performance Series and looks like this oh and at the bottom it says Intuitive Charging System whatever that means and it looks like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0260.jpg (178.2 KB, 0 views)
usagcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #12
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know TahoeDawg said you (Sergio)are the most experienced on here and that is why I am guessing maybe he was thinking of another type OBC when he made this statement

"The problem you run into with that system is that there are so many circuits that OBC relies on, it's hard to do an easy bypass on it. My recommendation would be to track down Sergio, he's an avid member of this forum and probably understands electrical better than anybody else "

So If it is actually like you say Sergio then if the owner or another mech cut the grey wire (don't laugh but I will be honest when we saw that we spent 30 minutes soldering the grey connection back together, but never plugged charger in and we have since removed the fuse ) and all OBC does is the charging system maybe it (OBC) is bypassed. I am learning so much. If you can't tell I have never worked on these things. I am listening to my dad and you guys. I will try to get him on here I think he would enjoy talking to some other knowlegable electricians. Please Please Tahoedawg do not take it the wrong way I mean even you said you wern't sure and to check with Sergio.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

TahoeDawg has forgotten more about golf carts than I will ever know... He meant about these odd ball carts because I like analyzing the schematics.

The gray wire being disconnected and likely the negative wire going directly to pack negative means the OBC was already not doing anything for that cart.

You know the buzzer works and you verified the proper signals were in place for the controller to have activated it when the FNR was in reverse, so the controller is shot as well.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Without going back out to garage tonight I believe the negative wire you are speaking of is coming from the charger recepticle, if it is, I do believe that this one goes to the bottom of controller to B- and on the same post there is a wire that goes through the OBC and then connects to the B- of the Pack. They are different guage wires. The bigger guage goes through the OBC back to B- of pack. So Can you tell if OBC is good or bad or not used ?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #15
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I didn't take it the wrong way. I worked at a dealer for 14 years. And for most of that duration as a service manager. I'll be the first to tell you I don't know much about the Regen 2 cars, even less about the Regen 1. I simply didn't see that many of them. When I started work there in 2001, the IQ was new so that's where I started. The Regen cars are a major headache for lots of people.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If that negative wire goes directly to B-, then the OBC is not doing anything.

The charger you have is a smart charger that works without the OBC.

The OBC does not need to be replaced in your case.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #17
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great, Thanks Sergio. I hope so, I bet pops 10.00 bucks that new controller will fix it. He and I have talked about this OBC and controller and trying to figure out what the heck they are doing and how and when to each other, then throw in a lot of articles about bypassing this and that, it is to much for my pea brain all at once. Computers, networking, radios phones almost any communications is what I do, at most I need to trace some dc voltage but thats about it. We are just starting and my dad will have his hands full teaching me a whole new trade. But I am very grateful for the shared expertise from both you and TahoeDawg THANK YOU.

TahoeDawg I am glad you get it. With 14 yrs experience I am sure your cup of tea will be used quiet a bit. does the place you work/worked sell Controllers lol Thanks for the help and welcoming.

That only leaves one more question, what is the best place to find one of these goofy controllers. ?

PS: I agree with dad these carts ran for a very long time before they had OBC's and controllers, those are the good days. After looking at the site I think I get it maybe I need to trade my old gas for a old ele. Thanks Guys.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 AM   #18
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Dang brain won't leave it alone. So could I actually leave the OBC six wire plug UN PLugged ? BUT on the plug for OBC harness side where we are jumping the white and blue wire, and that is the only time I get my voltage at the controller plug. If the OBC is not making that jump then where is or how is the controller going to get the voltage. Sorry if it is obvious but sometimes I am a little slow.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as there is power on the Blue wire, it does not matter if the OBC is plugged in.

Just leave the Blue and White wires jumped.

You can also cut the wires on the OBC side of the plug and just connect the cut Blue and White wires together, which I think is a cleaner way of doing it.

Just tape off the unused wires.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #20
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagcr View Post
TahoeDawg I am glad you get it. With 14 yrs experience I am sure your cup of tea will be used quiet a bit. does the place you work/worked sell Controllers lol Thanks for the help and welcoming.

That only leaves one more question, what is the best place to find one of these goofy controllers. ?
Yes they do, but so do I. That was the reason I left. I started my own company and became a sponsor here on this forum and I haven't looked back. There are lots of sponsors here and if you combine them all, there's really nothing you can't get. If you want to talk controllers feel free to call me. My phone number is on the link in my signature.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car