lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
thbarrons
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Transaxle Oil Brand Question

Hi all. So this is my first post. New to cart ownership. I’ve been reading a ton of great info on this board. Glad to be a part of it. Many thanks to everyone who contributes. I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future. Meanwhile...

Picked up a 2011 drive electric in great shape. Planning to use it for putzing around on my property. Cool cart. But ready to start the mods. Bought a lift kit and tires. The instructions said remove front cowl for access. I couldn’t stop there, tore it all the way down to the frame one afternoon just to see what makes these baby’s tick and get her cleaned up. Figured nows a good time to paint the body too, dropped the plastics off at a buddies shop for a few days to get sprayed. I see from a lot of these posts that I am now destined to be part of a larger group of tinkerers who can’t seem to stop working and spending $ on their carts. Apparently I’m all in.

So while I have easy access to all the service ports on the transaxle figured I’d do my first oil change. I read in a previous post where somebody posted the section out of the service manual which reads:

Add SAE80 W90 API GL-5 Limited Slip High Performance...
I’ve also read there’s a Yamalube product specifically for this but the local Autozone has this Valvoline product that seems to meet the spec.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...mance-gear-oil

Any reason I can’t use this? Anybody else use it? Results?
thbarrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Transaxle Oil Brand Question

Yamaha part number "acc-shaft-lu-00" for their oil.
That valvoline looks like it will do just fine (meets GL-5, with friction modifier for posi).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice to know there is a alternative oil in case we are a ways from a Yamaha shop.
Thanks for posting.
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I found the GL5 limited slip earlier this year and used it with no apparent issues, don't have a Yamaha dealer nearby.
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

If you have a kawasaki or suzuki atv dealer in your area they also sell a wet brake fluid that will work as well. The kawasaki brand is about 7$ a quart
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transaxle oil valvoline
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha