lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1982 G1 Shock question

Hello all,
Been a long time since I asked a question of the forum.
My G1 electric has a lift on it and I need to replace the coil over shocks, due to rubbing when I turn the wheel to the left or right. I figure some new coil shocks will lift me up a little.
I am attaching a pic of my shock while mounted. Can anyone tell me if Stock shocks will give me some height or can I put longer more heavy duty shocks on it to raise me up the inch or so I need.
The shocks in the pic are about 10 1/2" eye to eye. Can you not compress a 13" or so shock, using the current holes?G1ShockPic.JPG

Help would be appreciated.
davidh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #2
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 G1 Shock question

Hey folks, Haven`t received a reply as yet on my shock question, I know everyone is busy but I thought I would be a little more descriptive. I think the shocks in the first pic are stock. which means they are from 1982. when I first had the lift installed the tire would only rub a little, now years later it rubs with the slightest left turn of the wheel. I am sure these shocks are shot, but will new ones give me a little lift? and can I put some longer, stiffer, shocks on without much adjustment. I am not a welder, so any thing that required that would have to be hired out. any suggestions? I use this cart for deer hunting so I need something more durable than stock I am thinking. Attached please see some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 Shock Images.JPG (121.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 Shock pic 1.JPG (127.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 Shock pic 2.JPG (121.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G1 Shock pic 3.JPG (126.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by davidh51; 10-08-2015 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Add pictures
Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Hello, my old friend, what a blast from the past! The real problem with Yamaha coil over shock/lower control arm design, the king pin's and shocks create the correct camber geometry. You start changing shock length and your camber will be way wrong and have a very unstable effect when driving. Are the shocks leaking fluid or are the springs just worn out? Mike Mac did a cool thing by regaining the coil "strength" by installing a "set of 1/2 collars" to make the "stiffer" again. Longer, stiffer, softer shocks would intail fabbing new upper brackets to keep the camber correct. Many more knowleable lifted G1 members then I. Hope they will post replies soon. Good Luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply smallblock. Sorry to blow in every 4 or 5 years and ask for help.
Do you think these in the pics are the stock shocks? I think they are. I don`t mind replacing with new coil/shock if they will give me a little height off the front wheels when my big butt sits on it.
My right front tire tilts in a little more than the left, and didn`t used to do that. Is that a sign the shock is worn? I may try the spacer idea, but I think I am leaning toward replacement.

Sorry to edit this post, but no leaking of the shocks, I thinks the springs are just worn out after 33 years of service.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, worn out shocks. Dont go fitting different model shocks in there if you dont plan on "re-engineering" the whole system. The other thing you should check is the kingpins & bushings for that "lean" thing. A friend of Smallblock's is a friend of mine . Welcome back, dont be a stranger.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #6
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks cgtech,
I think it is a safe bet that I need to replace the kingpins and bushings, they are 33 years old as well I am sure. The rear shocks seem to be in better condition, I don`t have a back seat or anything. I think I can wait on those. The front is bad enough cost wise. I will do the back in a few months.
And smallblock, what can I say, he has a big heart for helping me and so many others for so long on this forum. They need to do one of those obnoxious reality shows on golf car rebuilding with smallblock and people like you traveling around helping people rebuild there cars. You guys could make some serious $$$ on a show like that. Have you noticed the membership totals on just this one forum. Golf cars have an enormous following. Just think of the zillions of cars sold over the years and you just don`t see that many of the older cars for sale.
My favorite memory I have of smallblocks advice during my rebuild was "just keep beating on it, it will come loose" and it did. this was concerning the rear axle when I need to do the brakes. His encouragement and advice made me believe I could do it, and I did. This forum would not be what it has grown into without the helpful experts like you and smallblock. Thank you for all you do.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha