lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Graziano type outer axle bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
Good idea. I did that with the ring gear in a 14 bolt and it fell right on the carrier. I actually put it in the oven and put the carrier in the freezer. Got the bolts finger tight then when everything came back to room temperature it was as if the ring gear was welded on.
LOL... Over the years I've done or seen silly stuff really help... Put a set of bearings in the freezer and the motorcycle wheel up on the sunny roof for a couple of hours and they drop right into place...

To this day I still get a kick out of watching big *** bronze bushings being dipped into a barrel full of liquid nitrogen and then all but slip fit into the hull of a ship....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
SEHunter
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
The oil seal is near the brake drum side of the axle. Most probably, you will pull the axle out completely, and the seal will still be in the tube. Then it is easy to remove.

My issue has always been the axle bushings, that ride next to the bearing. They are not available anywhere, so don't cut one off!

Tahoedawg gets them out with no problem, but i always struggle with the bushings .
You're right on the bushings. To update... I got both axles removed. Removing the snap rings weren't too bad. I used a small 90 degree tipped pick to slip behing them once I had them squeezed together with snap ring pliars then pulled out on them. Took hitting the edges of the axle flange with a mini sledge hammer while pulling outward with the other hand for about 10 minutes per axle to get the axles free. Finally got them out. They did have the bushings you were talking about that are pressed on beside the bearing and it seems they fit alot more snug on the axle shaft than the bearings do. The bushing is the surface that the axle seals seal to. The seals are pressed in the tube right at the end and are easily accessed once the shafts are removed. I used my small 12 ton press to press everything off the axles. They were tight. Used a small chisel to cut the seals in half for removal. Took my time there so as to not hit the axle tubes.

One bearing was dry and gritty when spun. I'm going to pop off the rubber seals on the new bearings and pack more wheel bearing grease in them. I ordered new SKF before I realized I have Koyo brand 6205RS bearings at my disposal at work. They are used in caster and load wheels for some of the electric fork lifts I service. For kicks I popped off the seals of one of the new Koyo bearings I have at work and was surprised at the lack of amount of grease that was in them. I'm going to pack the new SKF bearings that I ordered tight with grease so maybe they will last longer, even though my cart is a 99 and these are most likely the original bearings. The old ones I removed were KCB brand made in Korea, bearing # 6205D. I could probably clean and repack the old ones but at $6 each, I don't see any reason to not replace them.

Moral of the story is the use of any size press with press plates rigged right will remove the bearings and bushing from the old axle shafts and save you from dropping $700 on a new set of axles just to replace old bearings.
SEHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post

To this day I still get a kick out of watching big *** bronze bushings being dipped into a barrel full of liquid nitrogen and then all but slip fit into the hull of a ship....
been there ... done that ... wrote the book
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
been there ... done that ... wrote the book
Always fun to down in the dry dock with some old fruit to freeze solid and watch shatter like glass when thrown to the wall...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEHunter View Post
... I'm going to pack the new SKF bearings that I ordered tight with grease so maybe they will last longer...
Do not pack tight with grease as that can cause them to run hot, to which they can build pressure and pop their seals out...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car