lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Walter Hudiburg
Not Yet Wild

Default Motor removal

Working on a 1999 club car and have a top post on the motor burnt off. The motor is parallel to the axle, but after removing all the bolts, I can't get the motor to slide out. I did get the motor casing to slide but the armature is still stuck in the spline. The motor casing will not move far enough to remove it as it hits the frame.

My only solution that I can see is to drop the entire axle assembly so I have room to get the motor removed. Any other suggestions???

I do have a place that can replace the burnt off post but they have to have the motor removed.
Walter Hudiburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
cecil229
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Motor removal

hello, you might try jacking the back of the cart up, maybe on the rear bumper. not under the axle. hope this helps
cecil229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Walter Hudiburg
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Cecil. I plan on jacking it up and putting some blocks under it while I remove the rear axle. I dread it as I know all the bolts and nuts are going to be rusted solid. SIGH!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
mini@avette
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just had the same thing happen on my 95cc. The motor separated from the armature. I sprayed the shaft with wd40 and let it sit and repeated this may times tapping the shaft with a punch and hammer many times and it just popped off. GOOD LUCK.
mini@avette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Hudiburg View Post
Working on a 1999 club car and have a top post on the motor burnt off. The motor is parallel to the axle, but after removing all the bolts, I can't get the motor to slide out. I did get the motor casing to slide but the armature is still stuck in the spline. The motor casing will not move far enough to remove it as it hits the frame.

My only solution that I can see is to drop the entire axle assembly so I have room to get the motor removed. Any other suggestions???

I do have a place that can replace the burnt off post but they have to have the motor removed.
Please try this first:
Put the motor case back against the axle housing then hit the back side of the motor with a rubber malet a couple of times. It will then come off.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Walter Hudiburg
Not Yet Wild

Will give it a try today and let you know. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

If it works for you thank Robby at Plum Quick Motors... He's the one that gave me that tip!

Good luck!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I go with scubabud-Same thing happened on my 96CC. I read about this try. Sprayed the WD40 waited for 3/4 hours and wacked the backend of the motor & off it came. I would rather burn the cart than to pull another axel/spring. Bt the way. I cut a nice even hole 4" X 10" in the bagwell. Makes a great way to work on motor, etc. Covered with a flat black metal sheet. It is hid with a bagwell surround mat. Easy to re-install motor plus get to all the other goodies. Good luck.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

You should not have to remove the entire rear axle. Just remove 2 bolts.

Jack the car up on stands and remove the 2 bolts, 1 in each rear spring shackle and let the springs and the entire axle, motor & all down.

Simple.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Walter Hudiburg
Not Yet Wild

You guys are great. I removed the two bolts from the springs, removed the shock absorbers, let the axle down and got at least the outside of the motor out, that's the part I've got to get down to get the post replaced. I have not been able to get the armature out yet but sprayed a bunch of wd 40 into the spline and hope it will break loose on Monday. If not, I'll have to try to get the casing on the armature while it is in the cart. Does anyone know if I'll have trouble getting the brushes to fit over the armature. Hope not. As I said, I'll try again monday to get the armature out. The rubber mallet trick did not work today, hopefully next time. Thanks for the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car