lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
wcgolf
Getting Wild

Default Possibly purchasing RXV and have some questions.

Looking at purchasing a fleet return RXV and have a couple of questions. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Is the freedom code something I can do myself?

2. How big are the tires and wheels diameter wise on it stock, and does anyone have an idea of how big I can go without a lift?

3. Is the body pretty simple to take off? I'm going to be adding a rear seat so top will be off already.

4. How difficult is the top to paint?

5. Is a street legal light kit fairly easy to install? That is pretty much all I plan to do electrical and should I run a 48 volt to 12 volt reducer or cough up extra and buy dedicated battery?

I had a lifted TXT and just don't want to go that direction this time, and want to get a newer cart all while I'm at it. I do realize that it is to my advantage to get one newer than 2012?

Any other thoughts on them? I'm in the Florida Panhandle so no hills or anything to be concerned with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wcgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #2
usagcr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Possibly purchasing RXV and have some questions.

Just my 2 cents, RXV over rated and over engineered, why would you have 48 vdc sitting there and then put a ac motor on it??? And then get rid of brakes and put a flakey motor brake on it. Then again I am a newby so don't pay me no attention.
usagcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagcr View Post
Just my 2 cents, RXV over rated and over engineered, why would you have 48 vdc sitting there and then put a ac motor on it??? And then get rid of brakes and put a flakey motor brake on it. Then again I am a newby so don't pay me no attention.
Both overengineered and overrated, plus a lot of potential issues that can occur. But that AC drive has advantages over DC drive in both efficiency and higher torque at a lower power consumption from the batteries. The advantages of AC drive is what attracted me to the RXV. I had been designing AC drive EVs for over 10 years by the time I bought my first RXV.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it ain't broke, it just don't got enough features.

Could have easily been a "normal" buggy with an AC motor.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
wcgolf
Getting Wild

So any opinions on the RXV versus an 2014-15 TXT? Would I basically be getting the exact same cart I had but 48volt? Mine was a 2002 PDS 36v. Can they program the higher speed on the txt? Any issues to worry about if they do the speed program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wcgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The later RXV's are less troublesome than the earlier versions, 2012 & up would be good. What's been said is correct: the A/C drive is an improvement in efficiency, but of course adds just that little bit of extra complication. The brakes are another matter. I have never seen enough of an upside to justify the problems from the electronic motor brake. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more out there for an aftermarket mechanical brake kit to retrofit on those.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #7
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgolf View Post
Looking at purchasing a fleet return RXV and have a couple of questions. Any help would be appreciated!

1. Is the freedom code something I can do myself?

2. How big are the tires and wheels diameter wise on it stock, and does anyone have an idea of how big I can go without a lift?

3. Is the body pretty simple to take off? I'm going to be adding a rear seat so top will be off already.

4. How difficult is the top to paint?

5. Is a street legal light kit fairly easy to install? That is pretty much all I plan to do electrical and should I run a 48 volt to 12 volt reducer or cough up extra and buy dedicated battery?

I had a lifted TXT and just don't want to go that direction this time, and want to get a newer cart all while I'm at it. I do realize that it is to my advantage to get one newer than 2012?

Any other thoughts on them? I'm in the Florida Panhandle so no hills or anything to be concerned with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I recently purchased a 2015 RXV and did the street legal light kit install and it was fairly easy. For the Freedom code I paid a guy $40 to install it on mine because the equipment to do it is priced for multiple carts. I also installed the rear seat my self and it was easy. I have taken the front cowl off and the floor board up to do the light kit install and all that was easy as well. I like the RXV so far but only had it for a few months.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
oldnavycdr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've had both a DC cart and currently a 2013 RXV. I prefer the torque/hill climbing ability of the RXV. I've had zero issues with this cart -- no brake issues, no controller issues, nada. As for some of your questions; the stock wheels are 8" and I think you can go up to about 20" total tire size without cutting or lifting. Have the dealer set the Freedom mode -- gives 19.5 MPH. There are ways to up that considerably but it requires some equipment and experience. (Mine does 28 with stock wheels). I've only removed the front cowl so can't speak to the rear. Mine was a fleet return and came with the voltage reducer. EZ-GO sells a nice light kit that isn't difficult to install as the wiring harness is already set up for it. Definitely get a 2012.5 or later. The Curtis controller is much better. I haven't painted the top but others have. It is doable with the right paint. On balance, my RXV is a great cart and has been very reliable.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This thread is 7 months old.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
This thread is 7 months old.
ahh good call. This person has probably already made a decision. lol
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO