lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Jmcclary1024
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Looking into upgrading controller for 2000 club car

Ok I upgraded my old motor to a newer style IQ motor simply. Cause I had one laying around from a wrecked cart I'm looking into upgrading controllers haven't fully made up my mind yet I'm wanting a fully plug and play controller my cart has a GE 220 amp 48v controller as of right now what should I get looking to spend around $400 to $500 if possible to keep it that low
Jmcclary1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Looking into upgrading controller for 2000 club car

I'm guessing it's a Regen 2 system? Big Silver controller?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hands down, buy the Alltrax XCT500 with solenoid from http://www.cartsunlimited.net

The flexibility and performance are unbelievable.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Jmcclary1024
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes big silver controller with a plug on one side and some terminals on the other side
Old 07-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Yes big silver controller
That means you will need a wiring harness change to IQ from Regen 2. PLUS (likely) an MCOR conversion kit from your current (I'm guessing) multi-step (pie shaped) potentiometer. Although the XCT is very tolerant of potentiometers with "variables" - I suspect you will be recommended to change it.

The XCT will neither plug nor play with your current harness, I believe - but David or Scotty will know for sure if you tell them exactly what cart/version you have before attempting to buy any upgrade.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
Hands down, buy the Alltrax XCT500 with solenoid from http://www.cartsunlimited.net

The flexibility and performance are unbelievable.
It's not that simple. The Alltrax XCT is not available for the Powerdrive Plus system (Regen 2). The vehicle must first be equipped with the correct IQ wire harness, correct throttle unit, and a few other necessary items in order to make the XCT work.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcclary1024 View Post
Yes big silver controller with a plug on one side and some terminals on the other side
Gotcha. I also recommend the XCT. But I don't recommend the 500 if you're going to use it with a factory motor. The XCT400 is easily usable with a factory IQ motor, but if it's the GE motor, it may shorten the lifespan of the motor. The black ADC motor from the later model cars is a much better option. The ADC motor was used in Precedents 2006 and up, and DS cars starting around 2008-2010. Let me know which motor you've installed please. To use the XCT400IQ controller on your cart you're going to need to replace the main vehicle wire harness with one from a late model DS IQ car. They're not that expensive. If you don't already have an MCOR1 or MCOR4 for your throttle unit, you're going to need one. MCOR4 conversion kits are available if your car still has the multi-step potentiometer under the seat. Once you've replaced the wire harness and the throttle unit you'll officially have an IQ car, electronically speaking. The original On-Board computer on your Regen 2 is fully compatible and will plug right in, as will the Tow/Run switch and the F&R Switch. It's an easy conversion on a 2000 model like yours. With the XCT controller you're going to need to purchase a heavy gauge cable set and a heavy duty solenoid. With the increase in amperage, the 6 gauge factory cables aren't up to the task of conducting that much power and will heat up, resulting in component meltdown. Usually battery terminals or motor posts will melt first. If you wish to go with the XCT500, you're going to need to either replace the motor with an aftermarket motor that can handle the extra amperage, or turn the maximum power output of the XCT500 down to 400 amps until you get the motor you desire. Let me know if I can help you further.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
That means you will need a wiring harness change to IQ from Regen 2. PLUS (likely) an MCOR conversion kit from your current (I'm guessing) multi-step (pie shaped) potentiometer. Although the XCT is very tolerant of potentiometers with "variables" - I suspect you will be recommended to change it.

The XCT will neither plug nor play with your current harness, I believe - but David or Scotty will know for sure if you tell them exactly what cart/version you have before attempting to buy any upgrade.
You nailed it dude.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's not that simple. The Alltrax XCT is not available for the Powerdrive Plus system (Regen 2). The vehicle must first be equipped with the correct IQ wire harness, correct throttle unit, and a few other necessary items in order to make the XCT work.
Yes, I misunderstood his post when he said he upgraded his motor to IQ I thought he meant the whole thing.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
Jmcclary1024
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The motor is NOT the GE motor it came from a 2009 I believe where would be the best place to start looking for all the wire harnesses and wiring I need I don't mind swapping stuff out I just don't wanna have to hack it all together with wire splices
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car