lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
coondog
Getting Wild

Default 1986 Ezgo Marathon 2stroke Belt Help

I have searched the forums and have found alot of info on belts for the 4 strokes, but I have not found anything on the model I have. I am looking for a replacement belt on my 1986 EZGO Marathon. Does anyone know the OEM or the Gates or NAPA part number for this?
ALso I read in one of the forums someone made a comment that they did not think using a smaller belt on a stroke would increase the torque. Does anyone know if using a smaller belt will increase torque on a 2 stroke or not? If it does does anyone know a part number for this belt as well?

Thanks
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1986 Ezgo Marathon 2stroke Belt Help

Yes it will, the shorter belt changes the effective gear ratio of the pulleys. I don't know the correct belt for you. Someone else my chime in and answer. I can direct you to the tech section of EZ GO Gas. It's at the top of the page. Look for a post titled " shorter belts and 28 deg clutch, It's very informative if you have not already read it. It may have the belt your looking for.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
coondog
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmaster View Post
Yes it will, the shorter belt changes the effective gear ratio of the pulleys. I don't know the correct belt for you. Someone else my chime in and answer. I can direct you to the tech section of EZ GO Gas. It's at the top of the page. Look for a post titled " shorter belts and 28 deg clutch, It's very informative if you have not already read it. It may have the belt your looking for.

Thanks and I read that and it does not give the belt information
Hopefully someone will know the answer.
Thanks again for your help
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
legbuh
Not Yet Wild

Ya, I'm looking for the same info, everyone keeps pointing to that thread but it doesn't deal with the 86 Marathon.
legbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
MikeSavasta
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Has anyone found an answer to this question yet? I also have a 86' 2 Cycle Marathon that I want to put a shorter belt on it to help with the low end torque, because right now it doesn't have any hill climbing power at all.
MikeSavasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Quadmaster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well guys I can only suggest the obvious. Take a belt off & go to the auto parts store and have them measure it. Maybe they can order you one or at least tell you the length you need. Maybe you guys could ask in the Marathon club owners section and maybe some one there might know. Just a suggestion.
Quadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
MikeSavasta
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so I went and picked up a Polaris belt that is almost identical expect it's roughly 1.5" shorter than the old one. I was hoping I could put this on to give me more low end tourque but I couldn't get it to roll on. Is there any tricks or anything I can do to put this smaller belt on? The original goes back on with ease.

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I was trying on a belt I bought from a Polaris dealer and while doing so noticed that one of cables that comes back to the Drive Clutch was not hooked up to the accelerator on the corroborator. Is this important? The cart runs without it but I wanted to know how exactly it works with the acceleration of the golf cart. The wire comes off the carroborator and runs back to the drive clutch and then is attached to a metal bar that is spring loaded. It seems the medal bar pushed down on the spring loaded part of the drive clutch. Any information would be useful. Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
TX Buggie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sounds like the linkage for the governer, but on mine it runs to the driven clutch on the axle.

I am curious to see how the shorter belt works for you. Do you have a Polaris or Belt PN?
TX Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
MikeSavasta
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Right ok sorry I am not stating it right because I don't know. Mine also runs to the Drive Clutch on the Axle. So you think that's the governor linkage? That would make sense because I already have the accelerator and choke hooked up. Thanks
Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
TX Buggie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The drive clutch is attached to the engine, the driven clutch is attached to the axle.

So yea, that the governor. When the driven clutch opens wide enough, it'll push that "metal bar" which pulls the cable, which will eventually limit throttle plate or butterfly on the carb.
TX Buggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO