lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
shunra
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2001 48 volt DS controller

Is this the stock controller? I stumbled across a good deal on this cart and don't know the history.

Serial number AC0129-035492

I have been reading up and I think this means it's a regen cart (has tow haul switch) but I don't know if it's regen 1 or regen 2. Whats the difference?

The controller is made by GE and says 220amps on it. Is this stock? What kind of speed should I be able to get out of it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
shunra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 48 volt DS controller

That looks like an OEM controller for the Regen 2. You have a Regen 2 because you have a Run/Tow switch....

Speed? Hard to say. Too many variables, but it is a good cart if you get a good deal on it. Alltrax makes an XCT controller for that Regen 2 cart so you can upgrade to the best of the best...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Speed?

The stock Regen2 controllers are not made for speed. You can maybe squeeze 18 out of it on some bigger tires, but if you have a hill forget about going up it. You can unplug the speed sensor, but it's not going to make it any faster on flat ground and you'll lose the downhill speed control/regen ability. The problem with that is the stock motors can easily over-spin and blow apart if you're going downhill too fast.

As long as the cart itself is in good shape, and the price is right, plan on a controller and motor upgrade. If you want to go fast, a dedicated high speed motor will get you into the upper 20's easy on the right sized tires. But it's going to struggle on hills. If you have hills or plan to use it off-road or on sand, a torque motor will be a much better fit.

The right motor/controller setup needs to be tailored to your planned use of the cart.
What's your area like terrain-wise? Flat? Hilly? Mountains?
What kind of stuff do you plan to do with the cart? Lift kit and Bigger tires? Or lower it on street slicks?
Where will you be driving it? Streets use and dedicated cart paths? Off-road for hunting or exploring? Driving it to the beach and cruising on the sand? All important things to consider.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
shunra
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies.

The cart is in decent cosmetic shape, costs $250 with:

Charger
Back seat kit
Windshield
summer and winter covers

Needs batteries, and has some clunking coming from the front driver's side suspension or wheel

It is for use in a gated resort with all paved roads. I will be moving gear and kids to/from pools, marina, store etc. Also to be used on a golf course (pretty flat)

right now it is frustratingly slow but I think it is mainly due to the failing battery pack. I just want something that gets around the relatively flat resort without taking forever.

I would not be lifting the cart but would consider cosmetic upgrades including nicer wheels/tires and either paint or a wrap.
shunra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

That is a great deal. Heck there is that much scrap aluminum in that cart. However that is one of the best chassis out there IMHO... Running in my area, nice, unlifted with seat kit, $3000. You gotta love this economy
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car