lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #21
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Default Re: The Silent night time killing machine is almost done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I would agree with that. Before I started my build, electrical work scared the crap out of me. Did my homework, now it only scares me a little...
As for placement of the battery pack and components, I spent a LOT of time mocking things up and trying different locations for things. Still not sure I came up with the best, but it works.

I'm curious how your bus bars and such will work with your pack split in 4 modules and 10. I've only seen 14, then 6 modules and 8. Been long enough since I looked into it, that I don't recall if or how it matters.
BBHC to be honest i havent even found bus bars yet and having a hard time sourcing wire management and terminal covers. For connecting the 10s and 4s together im just going to use a 1/0 cable as my jumper/ connector.
Ryan Tug Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
I would agree with that. Before I started my build, electrical work scared the crap out of me. Did my homework, now it only scares me a little...
As for placement of the battery pack and components, I spent a LOT of time mocking things up and trying different locations for things. Still not sure I came up with the best, but it works.

I'm curious how your bus bars and such will work with your pack split in 4 modules and 10. I've only seen 14, then 6 modules and 8. Been long enough since I looked into it, that I don't recall if or how it matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
https://www.evcomponents.com/elcon-t...w-charger.html

YUP!! That's the charger I use. Mine is also Can-bus programed. I will say that once I set the charger, I've found no need to change it. But it's still a nice option to have!!
Dave on that charger cant they program it at the factory for 58.4v charge. They ask all kinda questions when trying to order it. (Ex. How many cells, AH, voltage per cell, and some other stuff) what all did you have yours set at?
Old 03-24-2021, 04:30 PM   #23
ACCLR8N
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tug Smith View Post
BBHC to be honest i havent even found bus bars yet and having a hard time sourcing wire management and terminal covers. For connecting the 10s and 4s together im just going to use a 1/0 cable as my jumper/ connector.
MCMaster Carr has busbar stock if you don't mind cutting and drilling
ACCLR8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #24
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Tug Smith View Post
Dave on that charger cant they program it at the factory for 58.4v charge. They ask all kinda questions when trying to order it. (Ex. How many cells, AH, voltage per cell, and some other stuff) what all did you have yours set at?
They can program it for a "fixed" voltage. But I wanted the ability to program it from the ZEVA unit.

I honestly can't recall what I ask 'em for. I do know that I wanted CanBus in order to set the voltage at what I wanted. When I did my initial install, I installed a 7 module Leaf pack. Two years later I doubled the pack to 14 modules.

I did not have to make any changes to the charger when I went from 7 to 14 modules.

You have some "knowns" about your pack.

You know that each Leaf cell max charge is 4.2V. And a 7 module pack is 60AH and the 14 module pack is 120AH. Just answer the questions correctly and your unit will work with the modules you have.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #25
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
They can program it for a "fixed" voltage. But I wanted the ability to program it from the ZEVA unit.

I honestly can't recall what I ask 'em for. I do know that I wanted CanBus in order to set the voltage at what I wanted. When I did my initial install, I installed a 7 module Leaf pack. Two years later I doubled the pack to 14 modules.

I did not have to make any changes to the charger when I went from 7 to 14 modules.

You have some "knowns" about your pack.

You know that each Leaf cell max charge is 4.2V. And a 7 module pack is 60AH and the 14 module pack is 120AH. Just answer the questions correctly and your unit will work with the modules you have.
Yeah see thats something that im stumped on. It ask what max voltage per cell is. Well is it 4.2v or 8.4v due to the 2 cells that make one module. Dont most people consider 1 module being a cell so thats way its called a 14s pack? Like whats Elcon idea of a cell ? Also does the Canbus on the charger really even do anything if the charger comes "fixed" at 58.4V? I mean for a "fixed" 58.4V charger I can just buy a $80 chines one if the Elcon CANbus does not do anything on the "fixed" voltage charger i posted a pic of.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #26
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, it's been some time between when I built my pack and now. And this stuff isn't retained in my brain all that well.

The questions ask by the ElCon site is as follows:

Battery Type: Lithium-Ion is the answer

Number of batteries in a series: Need some help on the answer of a 7 module unit vs a 14 module unit. I think the answer is "14" no matter if it's a 7 module unit or a 14 module unit. (In reading this prior to posting, my answer doesn't sound right.....someone with knowledge needs to answer this)

Nominal voltage of each battery: Hmmmm......"nominal" is the average? So...each cell nominal would be 3.7 (Max is 4.2) or 3.7x2=7.4

Amp Hr of pack: Well, that's 60AH for a 7 module unit and 120AH for a 14 module unit..

The web site also gives you an "Other Requirement" which you can spell out exactly what you have.

I know I'm not providing you with the answers you want.....but I'm hoping that an engineer type will read this and respond with the correct answers.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #27
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

I feel you Dave. You have to have a college degree in this stuff to really understand what they want and mean when ordering a charger. Last thing i want to do is order the wrong one
Old 03-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #28
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

So got the controller and sw202 and all mounted today. Also pulled the batteries and got 3/4 x1/8 copper flat stock. They only sell it in 12ft sticks so if anyone needs some i have a lot. So this weekend my battery should be complete and all 1/0 cable should all be ran. Now i need a charger BAD. Is a charger that is a fixed 58.8v to much for this 14s pack. Ive seen a lot of guys us the 58.4 but is .4 more going to be to much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210326_160444.jpg (113.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210326_160506.jpg (119.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210326_160643.jpg (120.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210326_160747.jpg (114.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #29
Ryan Tug Smith
Getting Wild

Spent hours making bus bars last night. Im going hog and coyote hunt tonight so tomorrow when I crawl out the bed ill wire up the zeva and try and figure out a way to protect the bus bars from having stuff get in them. Fyi that black wire is just temporary so i could check voltage. That will be a 1/0 jumper wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210327_120727.jpg (186.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #30
HogKiller
Gone Wild

Hurry up butter cup.

HogKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car