lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Aspill1991
Not Yet Wild

Default Voltage problem

Hey guys I need help big time, I bought a golf cart for the family to use and just can’t seem to figure it’s problems out. I have a 2005 ezgo txt 36v golf cart that is putting out 36 volts in reverse and roughly half of that voltage in forward. It has new batteries and a new solenoid and don’t really know much about them to know where to go next. Thanks in advance
Aspill1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage problem

First off tell us a little more....what type of drive system does your cart have? SERIES? OR PDS??

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Aspill1991
Not Yet Wild

It is the series version.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

so what you are saying is it goes FAST (full speed) in reverse and SLOW (half speed) in forward? correct??
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #5
Aspill1991
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir that’s exactly what I am saying, it is putting 36 volts out in reverse from the controller and only 15-18 volts out in forward from the controller. I switched the wires on the motor to see if maybe that would switch the problem but it still done the same exact thing so I’m leaning toward the controller being bad? But it’s around $300 new so I was wondering if maybe there is something else I could be missing.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Has there been any work done on cart lately?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspill1991 View Post
Yes sir that’s exactly what I am saying, it is putting 36 volts out in reverse from the controller and only 15-18 volts out in forward from the controller. I switched the wires on the motor to see if maybe that would switch the problem but it still done the same exact thing so I’m leaning toward the controller being bad? But it’s around $300 new so I was wondering if maybe there is something else I could be missing.
If it is truly a series drive, then the controller has nothing to do with the cart's direction of travel.

The direction the cart travels in is controlled by the mechanical F/R switch assembly in a series drive.

-----------
If swapped both set of cables on the motor, nothing will change. To get the motor to spin in the opposite direction, only swap the S1/S2 cable OR the A1/A2 cables.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #8
Aspill1991
Not Yet Wild

There has not been any work done to the buggy that I know of, I bought it really cheap, it had been sitting in a yard for around 2 years. I pulled it out and put a new set of batteries in it and the solenoid was broke so I replaced it. Now I have movement out of the buggy but like I said it’s 36v in reverse and around 15-18 volts in forward. And that voltage is me testing the controller output.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

MS-4 on the F/R assembly placed battery pack voltage on the controller's Pin-3, telling the controller to do half speed, which it appears to be doing.

Your cart seems to be operating normally except for the direction it travels.

Swap cables on the motor's S1 and S2 studs and it should start working completely normal.

Or you could swap the S1 & S2 cables at the F/R switch. They typically attach to the B and D studs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series.JPG (55.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #10
Aspill1991
Not Yet Wild

Alright fellas,I switched the S1/S2 wires on the motor and that actually fixed my problem, but now my forward/reverse switch is reading backwards of the actual direction your going lol So what does that mean?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO