lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
F@bio
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v to 42 or 48??

1st post here... So I have 96 txt dcs cart with 6 yr old Trojans that have found the end of their life. I have had the cart for about 2 yrs and I've never been super thrilled with the performance. I've gps'd it at 15mph on flat ground with just me but the hills are rough to say the least, almost to a crawl in some cases. I wonder if my batteries have been kinda weak the entire time I've had it. Anyway, I have to get new batteries and I'm tossing around converting to 42 or 48. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic an have learned alot. The cart is running on stock wheels/tire/ height, already has been upgraded to an altrax dcx300 and has set of 4ga cables. I know I still need HD solenoid and a charger. My questions are: is the 300a altrax big enough for either conversion? Is 42v worth the effort or should I go ahead an do 48v? I've read on other threads that 42v is the sweet spot for the stock motor. Any input is appreciated.
F@bio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 42 or 48??

42V is the sweet spot for a stock PDS motor, not so for DCS motors or series drives.

The Alltrax DCX typically takes an otherwise stock DCS cart about 20MPH, so your cart is on the slow side. Probably battery issues. Crawling up hills is most likely batteries also.

Other than starting from a standstill, your motor isn't very likely to draw more than 300A. When cruising at speed, they typically draw in the 50A to 75A range.

Go with 48V. That'll give you the best uphill performance, but be careful going downhill and keep speed under 28MPH. With stock height tires and gears, that puts the motor at about 6500RPM, which is the max RPM that motor ought to be spun at.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO