lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
Cjoh
Not Yet Wild

Default Detached axle shaft

Upon replacing my batteries in the cart, I noticed something -- my axle shaft is not attached to the frame. I can tug on the wheels of the left wheel and move the right one towards me, and vice versa. It looks like there are two bolts that have lost their heads.

So my feeling is, I need to take the tires off, get to where those bolts are, use an extraction bit to take them out, and put new bolts on to attach them back. Is this the right solution here? See attached picture.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 9.56.25 PM.jpg (12.6 KB, 0 views)
Cjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Detached axle shaft

Looks like the rear axle of an RXV. (No brake drums or disks)

The bracket the shock attaches to ought to be welded to axle tube, holding the rear axle in place side to side.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjoh View Post
Upon replacing my batteries in the cart, I noticed something -- my axle shaft is not attached to the frame. I can tug on the wheels of the left wheel and move the right one towards me, and vice versa. It looks like there are two bolts that have lost their heads.

So my feeling is, I need to take the tires off, get to where those bolts are, use an extraction bit to take them out, and put new bolts on to attach them back. Is this the right solution here? See attached picture.

Thanks!
I think maybe what you are referring to as two bolts that have lost their heads are actually two pins made and welded to the axle tube. Their purpose is to stick into the two holes on the plates between the axle tube and spring to stop the axle tube from turning in the u-bolts with torque. If those two pins are not in place in those holes it will allow movement of the axle assembly on the springs. Make sure the pins are in their holes and that the u-bolts are tight.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
Cjoh
Not Yet Wild

Yep, it's and RXV.

So they're studs not bolts. That's a shame. It looks like the studs have snapped off. I wonder if I can have them welded back on.
Cjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjoh View Post
Yep, it's and RXV.

So they're studs not bolts. That's a shame. It looks like the studs have snapped off. I wonder if I can have them welded back on.
If the welded pins ( studs ) are missing from the axle tube and allowing the tube to turn inside the u-bolts you can do serious damage to the cart. It will turn on acceleration and also on braking and slam the motor into the cart body and the back of the batteries. I have seen that happen before and while it would be difficult to re-weld the pins in a strong enough manner to hold, alternatively you can weld the plate with the hole ( not the shock plate, but the plate that goes between the axle tube and spring ) to the axle tube itself. That will give you the hold that you need. BEFORE you weld that plate to the axle, make sue it is in the proper position with the motor standing centered between the back of the batteries and rear body. You can probably position the motor correctly ( in case it has turned ) and tac weld in position on the cart.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO