lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Kaisercart
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 252 vibrates and won't go

I am new to these forums and am in great hope of finding an answer. I was attempting to go up a rather steep incline when my cart just stoped and wouldnt go in reverse or forward. The motor turns and vibrates and the differential shakes but no movement. Is there a key or shear pin on this motor shaft or something else possiable going on?
Kaisercart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Melex 252 vibrates and won't go

Welcome to the forums, glad to have ya!!

Are your batteries fully charged up? With a volt/ohm meter post the total pack voltage.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Kaisercart
Not Yet Wild

Yes I belive the batteries are fully charged. When you put it in forward or reverse it vibrates and shakes it seems like at the junction of the motor and rear end. It tries to move it just acts like something is striped at the motor.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Do you own a volt meter? I'm not saying the splines arent stripped all I'm saying is I had one just last week do the same thing and it was because the batteries were beyond dead. Charged them up and all is good. Do you here a grinding noise or just it shaking back and forth?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Kaisercart
Not Yet Wild

I do have a volt meter but I am not sure it will work for this application. It is a unit for home use ac/dc volts. I do not hear a grinding noise.just shaking and a slight movement and then no movement. The carts battery charger shows fully charged and will kick off. The cart was running fine and just like turung off a light switch just quit. I hope I have given you enough info. Not real sure about these carts as this is my first experience with one.Thanks for trying to help.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

That volt meter will work fine. Its not any different than what we use. Its a must have tool for working on electric carts. Just put in on DC volts and check. Also check all your connections real good, make sure they are clean and tight.

Does the charger come on and then kick off real fast?

You check total pack voltage by placing the meter probes on the last positive and negative in the series of batts. The 2 you are looking for should be the 2 that come from the charger plug.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
Kaisercart
Not Yet Wild

I would say the charger kicks off rather fast. whrn you plug it in it goes over to around 20 and thenslowlydrops down and kicks off . I would say it takes 3-4minutes. I will also check the voltage and post that later.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
Kaisercart
Not Yet Wild

Well I finally checked my total pack voltage and it shows around 24 dc volts. I also removed the motor and the splines and shaft are all perfect.I have not pulled all cables yet but will clean them up and secure.Also when the motor starts to shake I can smell a battery acid smell and I can hear one of the batteries boiling. I do not know the age of the batteries. How can I find out about the condition of the batteries and could there be some other problem.I really think I am dealing with voltage problems now . Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A simple hydrometer from any auto parts house will give an indication of a dead cell or battery..... a load tester is a more reliable assessment
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Axles?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex