lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
philtay
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 212 refurb & road legal

I completed this Melex 212 refurb at the weekend, and got it road legal in the UK - trust me, this is no mean feat...

This is a 1979 cart, that was made in Poland, shipped as parts and then assembled in a small factory in the UK around the corner from where I grew up. I used to see these as a kid and think how much fun they looked. Fast forward to 2007, and I was living on the edge of a golf course that got closed down, and in the liquidation sale I see two of these buggies for sale as scrap. A quick inspection showed they were from that same factory, made around about the time I saw them as a kid.

Anyway, lots of lost weekends later, here is the finished, and fully road legal article. You can see more details of how it was done on http://thebuggyproject.blogspot.com/

I've had to build up a lot of info on the cart and it's wierd differences to the usual ezgo and club car stuff, so am happy to share any stuff I've learnt along the way with other Melex owners.

First road tests went ok, but had a cable burn out on the motor armature halfway through the day. Looks like that old Melex motor is the weakest link in the chain. It is basically the only thing on the cart that hasn't been refurbed. A job for next weekend I think...

Anyway, keen to hear from other owners and get some reactions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE_031.jpg (145.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_032.jpg (152.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_033.jpg (64.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAGE_034.jpg (137.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Bug in car park.jpg (63.5 KB, 22 views)
philtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex 212 refurb & road legal

That is looking good. I had a mid 80s 212. Pics are in the beginning of this thread. In order to license in the US (where you can?) you need a windshield, seatbelts, horn, mirror, stop and turn lights .... Enjoy the ride
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Melex 212 refurb & road legal

Nice job philtay
The steering wheel is on the correct side, that should help
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
melex 212
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex