lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Installing a Rhino bed on a Marathon

So I ran across a guy selling a Yamaha Rhino bed on Craigslist for $75. I figured the price was right. Measured it & the width & height are right. It's a bit long, hangs past the taillights quite a bit. It's pretty heavy duty, better quality than most any other cart beds I've seen & has a latching tailgate. I'll need to shorten the length a bit, which will obviously lighten it too. And redesign the rear roof supports. Plus the bed had some plastic wheel wells that I'll be covering when I cut it down.

I was a bit concerned that the additional weight would effect the cart too much. So today I went for a spin with the GPS. Then I strapped the bed on the back of the cart & went for another spin. The test was by no means scientific, but it put a rest to any concerns I had. The ride was about 15 blocks long, up a slight hill that is about 2 blocks long, and a couple of straightaways that are 3 or 4 blocks long. With just me in the cart & no bed on it, high speed was 25.4 mph. The cart pulled the 2 block long uphill at a bit over 15 mph.

Afterwards I strapped the bed on the back & took the same drive. Top speed was 25.3 mph, and it still pulled the 2 block long uphill at a bit over 15 mph. I definitely noticed the weight back there. But it obviously didn't effect the cart's power much at all.

Last night I ordered CPPs Power Tune & Clutch kits. I'm expecting that will help the cart's holeshot & pulling up hills.

It's not much to look at yet. But had to be pretty funny lookin motoring around the block strapped on the back.

AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: Installing a Rhino bed on a Marathon

That will never work, send it to me........
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hehe, thanks. Should be an interesting install. Still trying to figure out how & where to cut it down.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I like your co-pilot
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

I'm just jealous, been lookin for somethin like that for a while. I'm sure you will make it look like a factory install!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Cute DOG Oh, and a heavy bed is not a thing that heavy cart needs. You will soon need to look into HD springs if you want to put anything in it? Is it 100 pounds? ... or what? I have cut them down before... cut 11 inches off of the front of one and mounted it on a CC with the dump mechanism Post lots of pics as you go
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

When you put the bed on there flat then your going to be able to tell some difference. then it's going to get some leverage on the rest of the cart, especially if you have some weight in it.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, I've put the bed in there down so it's wedged under the basket support bracket. I didn't feet like it was supported well enough to drive it like that so I did it upright. I will definitely have supports that go down into the bagwell area. If it still needs heavy duty springs, no big loss. Maybe someone will see this thread & offer some up.

I was mostly concerned about any loss of power. The bed currently weighs in a bit over 100 lbs. It's about 37" long, and it looks to me like I'll be removing about 10" of that. Maybe drop 20 lbs of the weight off? There is quite a bit of steel supports under the bed. Obviously I don't want to remove all of it. But maybe I can drill some holes in it to remove some weight without really compromising the strength too much.

Oh, and the dog, thats Riley..... terrier & lab mix. We have 3 dogs, all of which love going for cart or ATV rides. Part of the reason I'm doing the bed install.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I say just leave it the way you have it. Make some doors and your good to go.
shaneomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

The bed on this (tuff1) marathon is 40" I believe. It has to weigh better than 100lb. I'm guessing your cart has coil springs too. I just added some shocks off a street bike (I think it was a suzuki 750) in place of the stock ones to stiffen it up. I think your cart should be about the same, I know it is wheel base wise. there's lot's of things you can do to stiffen up the rear that are easy to do and don't cost much

ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO