lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
yamahaproject
Not Yet Wild

Default oil in air filter? g9 motor

i replaced the air filter because it was covered in oil. cleaned the gas tank and fuel lines. replaced spark plug and oil the cart ran great for 2 miles i parked it over night. washed it and not it smokes putts and the spark plug is wet.. the air filter is also covered in what seems to be oil and there is alot in the bottom of the air filter box
yamahaproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: oil in air filter? g9 motor

Generally that is because someone put in to much oil. 1 gt only. Some of the dipsticks were marked wrong. Or the float needle is bad and gas is flowing down past the rings and into the crankcase.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by breugel View Post
Generally that is because someone put in to much oil. 1 gt only. Some of the dipsticks were marked wrong. Or the float needle is bad and gas is flowing down past the rings and into the crankcase.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
When you read this place enough it sinks in...
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
yamahaproject
Not Yet Wild

it has exactly 1 qt of oil. and the air filter seems to be covered in oil.. it doesnt seem to be blowing oil. i was going to try and un hook the hose from the valve cover that goes to the air box and see if thats where its coming from....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

I usually unhook the hose to the airbox (plug off the airbox), install a fuel filter and another longer hose and run it out the back of the cart. Just make sure you install the fuel filter with the flow arrow pointing out.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
yamahaproject
Not Yet Wild

even if a g14 doesnt have a in line fuel filter i ordered one but i dont see where it goes? and ill try that this after noon but not i need another air filter and spark plug. could it be i got something wet when i power washed it ?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

The fuel filter on a G9 is in the bottom of the tank. Follow the fuel line down to the tank. Big screw on type cap. I suggest tearing the filter out of the cap and installing the inline filter in the line that goes to the fuel pump. Much easier to swap out later.

Back to the oil in the air box: check your oil and make sure it does not smell like gas. If not, I'd just do the bypass with a fuel filter on the pcv line. If you do this, make double sure the flow to the fuel filter is out, otherwise it will block off the gases for the pcv and end up blowing the oil filler cap about 25 ft in the air or hitting you in the head. Be minful that the line may or may not drip a small amount of oil at times. The fuel filter is just to help catch some of the oil.

If you air filter is soaked in oil you can try and clean it with carb cleaner and foam insert with soap and water. Don't get carb. cleaner on the foam insert, it will swell up like Boo after reading some of my posts.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The more you tilt the motor when lifting it the worse the dipstick reads. Put one quart in and note where the stick reads is what I do. If you tilt the motor a lot it may blow oil anyway but most don't. Get it hot then take that hose off and run it in neutral, see if it has a ton of blowby. Mine was blowing smoke but not oil, its getting rebuilt.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha