lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default battery keeps dying-why?

I am using a "starter solenoid" till my new one arrives. Could this drain a battery? I disconnect the battery when the cart is not in use so its not a longterm drain.

I will drive for 15-20 minutes and then dead battery. It was fully charged before driving. ?????????

Yamaha G-9 gas
Beachrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Default Re: battery keeps dying-why?

UPDATE: I put a tester on the battery when its running and I am seeing 11.4 volts while running. [12.3 while not] However....each time I start the cart it lowers the voltage a hair. Multiply that times many starts = dead battery.

What charges the battery while running? Shouldn't I see volts around 14 while running?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Beachrights
Getting Wild

UPDATE: I put a tester on the battery when its running and I am seeing 11.4 volts while running. [12.3 while not] However....each time I start the cart it lowers the voltage a hair. Multiply that times many starts = dead battery.

What charges the battery while running? Shouldn't I see volts around 14 while running?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You should see a minimum of 12.5 volts running(with low batts it may show low) and any where up to 14v. or so.But if its' dropping as you go,you are running on your batteries.Your starter/generator is not charging.Obviously its' working since it starts,so start with checking wiring and connections.The regulator may have gone bye-bye.I'm not sure what type they use,but if its' the same as automotive-types,you can get one at an auto-parts supply.Make sure you hooked all your wiring up correctly,you may not be sending power to the right terminals at the right time.You can use a Snow-Plow solenoid,or a Lift-Gate solenoid.Anything that is Continuous-Duty.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Beachrights
Getting Wild

Well one thing I found was it looks like the starter was replaced before my time [spliced wiring] the connections were poor- I reconnected with fresh wiring and it now runs at 12.1-2 volts.

I am hoping its caused by the wrong solenoid- causing constant draw?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

The solenoid only draws when activated Unless bad or wired wrong(if its' drawing you probably have a cart thats trying to start on its' own,when you turn the key on).Any other draw,or short such as a battery goin bad(shorted cells)will cause a draw.If you want to check for draw,turn everything off on cart,remove Neg. Cable from batt.Connect clip on test lite to Neg.Cable and probe of lite to Neg.Terminal on battery.If it lites you have a draw.The brighter the lite the larger the draw.Start unhooking/rehooking items until it goes out.(stereos' have a memory wire so a faint lite is normal).Take the battery to someone to be tested also,It could be getting weak and will work your system hard and cause it to fail also.Check all Grounds,from the battery to wherever they connect,clean everything.1 bad ground can drive you nuts.Let me know if you need more info.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha