lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
wilddonkey
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g2 with 16hp clone motor problems

I've got a 16hp clone that has been running fine for months but now its flooding. Gas is coming out the over flow on the carb. I've put a stronger spring in the carb and still does it. I've also put another carb on it and still the same thing. Im using the stock tank and fuel pump also.. replaced the fuel pump and still the same. Runs of a gravity feed tank with no problems. Anyone have a clue?
wilddonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: g2 with 16hp clone motor problems

Two possibilities:

1) Inlet needle and/or float damaged by the alcohol in gas. I have seen rubber tips rotted, brass floats corroded and plastic floats cracked by the ethanol.

2) This seems to be a common problem with the clone engines. The carbs were meant to be gravity fed, and if a pump is used, will build enough pressure to blow through the inlet needle and flood the carb.

I suspect #2. Go to the Clone Engine Swap sub-forum in the Big Block section to see what others have done about it. Sho305 has posted a lot of info about his clone swap, including this issue.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yes good catch. The clone does not like fuel pressure you have to put a tee and run a return back to the tank. This is worse on intake pulse because the pulse is stronger at idle when engine takes least fuel, while crank pulse is stronger with more rpm. You can swap to a small pump some say they work fine, the B&S one for their engines or many gokarts use a little mikuni they don't cost much either one. You can also try putting a longer hose on the pulse line, it will make the pulse weaker. I tried to stretch the spring in the clone and it still did it. I finally got a new carb kit and put all stock back in and put a return line. At idle the fuel flows a lot through it. When I do the next clone I will try to drill into the head for a pulse there, I may just buy the smaller pump too. I don't want a return line really. I did a G9 if you look it does not pulse direct from the crankcase, it has a valve, it runs off a tee. Not entirely sure how it works never looked that close. It appears to bleed pressure off to the valve cover with the valve, its a one way deal like a pvc on a car. Maybe I should have tried using that on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
KENNETHC
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I put a tee in the fuel line and it worked great.
KENNETHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha