lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removal of rear hub castle nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
I had no problem removing, I have been bouncing all over trying to find the torque. I am apparently not communicating very well.

This thread is about removing but my search brought me he for the torque specs. I can not find the torque spec in the manual I have from the stickies so apparently I am missing something.

Thanks for the feedback.
Its in the EZGO Technician's Repair and Service Manual on the section for the Rear Axel, in my manual its section Q, page Q-3. Its the note on the left hand side of the page.

Axel Nut Torque.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The intent of the spec is to offer a range of acceptable torque where you can line up the cotter pin. If you set the torque wrench for 140 ft pds amount and go you may find the nut half way between holes... and not able to line up without exceeding the torque spec. Set the wrench to 100 pounds and then see where you are at. At 100 ft pds you are within recommended spec, then if you are not aligned with a pin hole, simply advance to the next hole. I hope this helps

EXCESS torque may compromise the snap ring & bearing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #23
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I do not have it tight yet so will put anti sieze on it first and tighten her up.
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Its in the EZGO Technician's Repair and Service Manual on the section for the Rear Axel, in my manual its section Q, page Q-3. Its the note on the left hand side of the page.

Attachment 96931
Well there ya have it and there ya are!! The only manual I was reading from was the Service Parts Manual

GOt what I need now... assuming the 2001 is the same for 1996 TXT's
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #25
MuckSavage
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Same rear & axles so I'd bet they're the same torque value.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #26
Sdsuslacker
Not Yet Wild

So is the 90-140 torque spec the same for an 84 Marathon? Mine are more or less finger/wrench tight. I basically just grabbed the castle nut with a wrench and spin the tire to tighten it down. I noticed the tighter I got it, the less freely the real wheels spun.
Sdsuslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Sdsuslacker, I agree with you. I hesitated to get into this debate as posters are providing documented evidence of torque setting, however EZGO also recommend putting engine oil in differentials so perhaps they are not omnipotent.
When I was a lad we tightened up the castle nut to push the bearing onto the taper shaft and expel any excess grease. Once it was tight it was then backed off and then nipped up again after which it was backed off to the next matching hole in the shaft. This in effect meant that the castle nut was loose and that of course is the purpose of the cotter pin. Over tightening the castle nut puts stress on the bearing and causes the hub to bind. Anyway that is what I have always done without issue although I recommend that everyone follows the instructions in the manual.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Sdsuslacker, I agree with you. I hesitated to get into this debate as posters are providing documented evidence of torque setting, however EZGO also recommend putting engine oil in differentials so perhaps they are not omnipotent.
When I was a lad we tightened up the castle nut to push the bearing onto the taper shaft and expel any excess grease. Once it was tight it was then backed off and then nipped up again after which it was backed off to the next matching hole in the shaft. This in effect meant that the castle nut was loose and that of course is the purpose of the cotter pin. Over tightening the castle nut puts stress on the bearing and causes the hub to bind. Anyway that is what I have always done without issue although I recommend that everyone follows the instructions in the manual.

Dave
If you do this in an Ezgo TXT you will cause the hub to strip. These are not tapered bearings. You do not grease them - they are sealed and yes the differential takes 30wt motor oil per manufacture recommendations, take it up with DANA they have been making variations of this differential since the 1940s. I suspect they know what works.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Scotty, I am always up for a spot of education, can you explain why? Is the TXT different from the Marathon?

Thanks
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO