lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
divadavidcars
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 Ez-go 2 stroke No Power- need Help

im having the exact same problem with my 91. still havent figured it out
divadavidcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well it's all guess work but bearing in mind everything that you have done I would look at a crankcase pressure problem. I would check that the four bolts that hold the cylinder to the crankcase are snug. I would also look at the union of the two crankcase halves for signs of leakage and then snug up the 5 long bolts. I would then check all the nuts between the crankcase and the carburetor looking for air leaks.

If nothing works I would pull the engine and replace the two seals, for no other reason than to eliminate them as the culprits.

The reed valve is pretty bullet proof. If it were jammed open you would feel the air being pushed out of the carburetor. I have never heard of one jammed closed.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
divadavidcars
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

dumb question, but could we put air into the cylinder via air compressor and if there was a leak, wouldnt we be able to hear it? Or the old soapy water trick?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadavidcars View Post
dumb question, but could we put air into the cylinder via air compressor and if there was a leak, wouldnt we be able to hear it? Or the old soapy water trick?
There is no such thing as a dumb question. You would have to block off the exhaust port to stop the air escaping as that port is above the inlet port. Then with the piston wound down to the bottom you should have a path to the crankcase.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arbeitsweise_Zweitakt.jpg (14.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, yes I plugged off the oil injector port with a screw and lock tight thread tape. I pre mix oil and fuel now 128to1 like the book says, I've cleaned the reed valves and the chamber they are mounted to,,actually polished it smooth as well as the carb manifold that mounts on top of it. I took the carb competely down,,field dressed it,,and cleaned all ports real good using a small welding file set and carb cleaner that it soaked in. The fuel pump is pumping fuel but I'm going to buy another one to try it to see if another new one will put out more fuel. I have plenty of compression, over 120psi, good crank case pressure cause with the fuel pump off I can feel the pressure and it will spit fuel/oil to the top of the roof on the cart. What all do I need to convert to HEI system for spark? Got all new spark components now but maybe not strong enough, don't know!! I want this to run so bad it drives me crazy. help help help! Donald
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #16
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave,,I'm going to take another look this weekend and start from block one. Dump all fuel and re mix 128 to 1, recheck compression, crank case pressure, spark, fuel pump delivery of fuel, seal between cylinder head and block seal and crank shaft for end play and leaking around the seals. Will do the WD40 trick again around all gaskets and seals and then see where that takes me. Thanks for all your help and advice to all of us that are struggling with our carts,,you da man,,,,Donald
Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I'm sorry that there is no silver bullet solution. In situations like this sometimes you find all the things that it isn't before you find what it is and that can be very frustrating.

Going back to basics we need a spark, compression, fuel and in the case of a two stroke, crankcase pressure. This drives the fuel pump and also moves fuel from the crankcase to the cylinder.

So spark first ; are you getting a big fat blue spark? If so is it possible that the plug is failing under pressure i.e. it sparks in free space but not under 120 lbs in the cylinder. Also is it possible that when in the cylinder the HT lead is flexed in a different way and is open or partially shorted against the muffler for example. If you are not 100% then a new length oh HT cable and a plug would be a cheap test.

Your compression measures good so we can move on.

If you remove the rubber air pipe to the carburetor and squirt some premix into the air intake it should roar into life. If it doesn't then fuel is not getting into the cylinder. So remove the plug, squirt some gasoil into the cylinder replace the plug and try to start up. Does it sound more willing to run?

We will make this thing work.

Dave
Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #18
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Those are good areas for me to start first thing Saturday morning. Will try all suggestion and all those I thought of revisiting. Will post later that evening and let you know how it went. Thanks again Dave I'm confident that myself and the other fellow carter that has this problem will prevail!!! SEMPER FI,,,,,,,,Donald
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
divadavidcars
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Wierd. i took my belt off, it seems like there was an aluminum film on it. I cleaned it off with paint thinner and took some 600 grit sand paper while the engine was running and sanded the drive clutch to get the "glaze" off it. seems like it was running fine, but clutch and belt must have been slipping. what i thought was a lack of power, could have been a slippage this whole time. just something else to check, but your symptems sounded the same as mine. Im going to get a new belt now for sure.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #20
pappy carpenter
Not Yet Wild

your belt is slipping to much for what ever reason. it could be sheave is not closing properly causing poor starting speed because ratio is incorrect for lower forward momentum.
pappy carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO