lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
dbumbaca
Not Yet Wild

Default G19 strong batteries but no go

All,

My g19 has strong batteries but wont drive.

here is what happened...

I purchaced it at auction without a charger about a month ago, the cart was fully charged when I picked it up and the batteries lasted a long time and the cart drove perfectly.

I bought a generic 48V charger and it does charge the batteries up to 50+ volts but I have to connect directly to the batteries and not use the charging plug/port.

An automotive battery tester shows 9 volts per battery and the voltage drops not lower than 8 when I put the load on the battery. that tells me the batteries are good, right??

the other day I was driving the cart up a steep hill and it had not been on a charger for several days, the cart ran out of juice half way up the hill. I backed down the hill and used what little power was left to run the cart while i pushed it back home about a quarter mile. on the way back the cart went completely dead.

Back at the house I put the charger back on and left it charging all day. the charger has a 12 hour timer, the next day i gave it more charging and all the batteries test good again, just like before, 50+ volts, water levels good and load test good. I believe the batteries are fine.

There is a run/tow switch that apparently resets the controller so after putting the cart in tow for a minute I put it back in run. There is a nornal sounding solenoid-clunk sound when I flip the switch back to run.

The backup alarm works with the key in or out.

After inserting the key and turning it the cart wants to go in reverse, regardless of the position of the forward/reverse lever. However the cart only goes a few inches in reverse weakly and there is an audible solenoid-clunk sound that cuts all power.

Placing the run/tow switch in tow for a minute resets something and I can test again.... still weak reverse regardless of the intended direction followed by a clunk and total loss of power.

there is an inline fuse under the seat that is good.

Remember... this cart was working fine before I pushed it home.

Thank You for taking the time to read this far..Whats wrong?
dbumbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G19 strong batteries but no go

Did you place the tow-run switch in tow before pushing the cart? From what I've read on other posts, these controllers are easily damaged and one of the symptoms is only driving in one direction regardless of which one is selected. You'll have more help coming, but if the cart was moved without the tow-run switch in tow, the controller may be damaged. Hang in there for some more info, as there are many on the board that are totally familiar with this cart and it's diagnostic procedures.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
dbumbaca
Not Yet Wild

when I pushed the cart it the toggle was in the run mode.

I was just pushing the cart uphill and on a flat surface at no more than a walking pace, Can the controller be that delicate??
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
tacomaman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbumbaca View Post
when I pushed the cart it the toggle was in the run mode.

I was just pushing the cart uphill and on a flat surface at no more than a walking pace, Can the controller be that delicate??
very delicate.
tacomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
dbumbaca
Not Yet Wild

Would the same controller blow if the cart rolled down a slope?

So do I need to buy a new controller or can I repair the one that is in it? I see on ebay some are selling a MAC controller board for g19. Is that what is fried?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
tacomaman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbumbaca View Post
Would the same controller blow if the cart rolled down a slope?

So do I need to buy a new controller or can I repair the one that is in it? I see on ebay some are selling a MAC controller board for g19. Is that what is fried?
its very possible, because its a regen system. and im not sure on the MAC board.
tacomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
justDOOit
Not Yet Wild

Definitely the controller,I have a g-19 i just bought doing the same thing.Previous owner pulled it back to camp after batteries died and it was doing the same exact thing.Put a used controller i had laying around in it and all is well.
justDOOit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
eddogg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

first off... You gotta buy a charger that is set up for your cart, there are 4 different modes for different battery set ups, and it has to plug into the port... the reasons are too many to list... oh and you would have saved yourself a lot of trouble and sweat if you had just put the cart in tow and rolled it, lol. Sorry Im not trying to laugh, that other stuff you have heard about the tow switch mumbo jumbo is all lies and myths.... but like the others said you probably fried something with that charger... if you have any questions Ive got the right answers, just ask
eddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha