lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
ahults
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 G9 Maintenance

I am wanting to do some maintenance on my 91 G9. I am wondering where the greasing locations are for the clutch's? will any type of grease work? Also I was wanting to change the transmission gear oil. I found the drain plug but where do I fill it at? I can't see to find a plug on top. anyone have any ideas?
ahults is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: 91 G9 Maintenance

Look up your specs for your cart here: http://yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice/default.aspx

Regular auto grease is fine.

Drive clutch (front) is around the edge of the outter sheave area: just a few pumps will be fine.

Driven clutch (rear) on the inside part of the inner sheave, the triangle looking part. It is kind of hidden. Only put about two pumps in it. If you over fill it with grease it will seap out onto the shaft and get on the belt and it will make a mess.

You might also grease the front king pins on the cart. There will not be any grease fittings and you have to hand grease them. There are diagrams here or on Yamaha's site that describe them. There is roll pins holding them in on the ends of the a-arms. Just remove and grease and then reinstall.

Servicing the rearend. Use 75w90 gear oil. The fill hole is the vent tube coming out of the side of the housing. Just pull it off. If I remember right, it holds about a quart and a half of gear oil. I usually just fill mine up until it is close to the fill hole. If you overfill it will blow out the vent tube.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Spriddle has it. When I got my cart it was pretty dusty. I took the cover off the primary (on engine) clutch and sprayed it down with brake clean. Then I checked everything for breakage/wear, then I took some chain lube and put it on the pins that pivot and put the cover back on. It has stayed clean since so that tells me it was never cleaned, because I've had the cart since 99 lol. I check it every other year or so, depending on how many hours I put on it. I grease them a little about twice a summer, or when ever the clutch starts to drag the belt. Your cart will run better if they are working properly. Also the belt should be replaced at 1" width, sooner if you have lifted cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
ahults
Not Yet Wild

So I have to remove both covers from the clutches to get to the grease fittings? sorry for asking so many questions this is my first golf cart and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
ahults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You don't have to remove anything unless the primary was replaced. Here is a video of my clutches as stock on a G9.

The fitting on the primary is right next to one of the screws that holds that big gold cover on, the edge of the cover has a cutout for it, if you put the zerk at the top it would point straight up. (unless you have a different style clutch, as replacements might be a different model or aftermarket)

On the secondary clutch on the rear the zerk is on the back side. If you look you will see three ramps on the back that stick out to touch the ramps on the hub, with the spring inside them. Just above one of the ramps you will find the grease zerk fitting.

Make sure you only put a couple pumps in there maybe little more if front has not been done in long time. If you put a lot in it might get on the belt, it can also squirt inside the cover and fill the cover up if you keep on it. There is just a bushing inside and seals. The primary you can move in/out by hand and you will feel it get a little gunky inside when the grease is in there. It will take some of the rattle out of it.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I just posted a photo of the zerk on the secondary...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha