lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
John C
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Looking to purchase my first electric EZ GO??

Hi folks,,,,

My name is John and have been reading some of the threads on here. Nice, informative site.

This will be my second cart. I bought a gas EZGO 6-8 years ago and sold it awhile back. Moving to a area that allows carts on the road and in the neighborhood with a $5 permit so I'm looking at two carts, both electric, both '07, both supposedly PDS. One has the FNR switch on the dash, the other has the handle behind right knee, as I said both are advertised as PDS. Both buggies are lifted, both blue, one has chrome caps the other has nice rims. The one with the rims is the cleanest buggy,,,fresh paint, new white seats and flip flop, white top, just a all round nice,,,this one also has the FNR handle by my knee. It's priced at $3500. the other buggy is rough blue body, tan seats and flip flop, tan top, still has the golf course stickers on it, chrome hub caps but the FNR switch is on the dash. Priced at $3200.

Guess what I'm asking is there anything wrong with the FNR switch by my knee. Is there a preference of either, again both are '07 buggies??

Just curious if there is pro's or con's of either and what to watch out for.

Thanks for your time.

Will try and post a couple pics of the nice buggy,,forgot to take ones of the other one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0308.jpg (32.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (34.0 KB, 0 views)
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking to purchase my first electric EZ GO??

Here is a chart showing how to identify the three different electronic speed controller drive systems found in EZGO carts.

Since the DCS drive system was discontinued around the turn of the century, it won't be found in a 2007 Cart
If the cart is a 2007 and the F/R control is by your knee, it is a series cart (Has a series wound motor)
If the F/R control is a rocker switch on the dash next to the key-switch, it is a PDS.
(For the historical purists, there were a few carts with PDS controllers and DCS F/R switches made in model year 2000)

Both the Series and PDS carts work just fine as street/golf course machines.
With stock tires and controller, a PDS is faster. About 18 MPH for a PDS with a Freedom "chip", vs about 13 MPH for a Series.

With upgrades, both can be turned into buggies with more speed or more torque.
For Torque, most people start with a series cart.
For speed, a PDS is often used.

BTW - Prices vary by location, but at those prices for a 2007, I think they ought to have new batteries in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgoguide.jpg (78.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you want a cart for cruising/ street use, the PDS is probably your new baby. If you want one to work, pull, creep trails and such, I'd go with the series. I love my series cart!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
John C
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys,,,

Planned use is wander the neighborhood streets which are gravel, travel on grass, ride to the lake which is also a gravel road, pull my yard cart, visit my friends which is also by way of cutting through yards to get to his house, just general creeping around the area. It's all flat land, no hill climbs. Buddy has a EZGO series cart that's lifted and he has no complaints, another guy has a Club Car non lifted that he motors around in.

The series cart is what I have pictured on this post, is the better cart, in my opinion. Aluminum wheels, new floor mat, newer seats, better body, undercarriage painted, white top,,,just a better looking cart to me. $300 bucks more than the other one but it's ready for me to add accesories to it, where the PDS cart, would need to be taken apart and repainted, new floor mat, sand and paint undercarriage, tan seats and top, which I'm not a big fan of, at least not with the blue body, steel wheels with hub caps. The $300 difference would be eaten fairly quickly as well as the time invested to get the PDS cart to the level of the series cart.

Both carts have same lift and tires, no other options. Pretty much apples to apples, except for the drive system. Batteries in the PDS cart are suposed to be '10,,,,will look at the series cart tomorrow, it has Trojan T-105's in it but not sure of the year,,going to look at the negative post and see if they are stamped.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The wheels and tires on the series cart(the one pictured) are about $400-500 alone so I think that one is the better deal, besides you seem to like it better. My opinion: series carts=simple/reliable. I agree that new batteries should be included for that price.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
John C
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Borrowed this from Scottyb's site,,,,,

DCS & PDS carts can be used for off road use with some caution. These sepex motors tend to develop more heat that a series motor does. In sustained high torque situations this could be detrimental to the motor. And in some cases the motor and the controller could be damaged.
You would want to avoid any stall situation, where you were asking the cart to go when it could not. Or extended periods of time at very low speed like creeping through the woods. Creeping on tall tires uphill could overheat your sepex motor, they just are not as suited to this task as a series motor .... I hope this helps.

This answers my question on which cart to go with!!!! The cart I have pictured in this thread is the series cart and also the better looking one... creeping is all I plan on doing and it is a lifted cart. Amazing what you find out if you keep looking. Thanks Scottyb!!

Will be contacting Scottyb to discuss cable upgrades and HD F/R switch,,want my cart to have all the power it needs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO