lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
TMetz60
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 Yamaha G16E Won't Go

I am trying to repair our disabled neighbors 2000 Yamaha G16E Electric cart so he can once again be mobile around our neighborhood.
After sitting over the winter, the thing just quite. We pushed it to my house to see if I can get it going.
The batteries are all 2 years old. When I turn the key on and put the lever in reverse, the buzzer goes on but no movement in F or R.
As you step on the "go" pedal, there is a single clicking noise. I tracked that as coming from a round device that when Googled seems to be a solenoid.

Here is where I need your help. What are some things I can check to rule out or fix/repair. If there are other threads you can point me to, please do.
Thanks in advance for your help.
TMetz60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
curly33333
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 Yamaha G16E Won't Go

Im not a pro... but I would check to see if it has at least 36v or 48v(depending on model) across the batts. Also check the water level. Batteries that sit around can loose water especially during the summer months. I'm sure if you look up there is a sticky about refilling. Also I have read that if a battery drains too much current and voltage sometimes the cart charger will not charge properly and the batteries will have to be charged with a automotive charger 6 or 12v at a time.

You do have power, due to the solenoid working but it may not be enough to run the motor. That is always a good sign.
curly33333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
TMetz60
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Curley. The water level is just above the plates and batteries consistently measure around 36.1 Volts. My nephew has been trying to help me eliminate/troubleshoot different components by using DMM.
We found that what we believe is the throttle sensor under the floor board is suspect as the cover was missing and internal spring was not connected.
However, we tried to manually turn the sensor knob with pedal depressed but the motor still did not turn.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
swampsat
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetz60 View Post
Thanks Curley. The water level is just above the plates and batteries consistently measure around 36.1 Volts. My nephew has been trying to help me eliminate/troubleshoot different components by using DMM.
We found that what we believe is the throttle sensor under the floor board is suspect as the cover was missing and internal spring was not connected.
However, we tried to manually turn the sensor knob with pedal depressed but the motor still did not turn.
how many batteries do you have and are they 6volt or 8 volt batteries

If you have 6 8volt batteries then they need to be charged cart will not run below 42 volts
swampsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
TMetz60
Not Yet Wild

There are 6 batteries and they are 6 volt each. Each battery reads 6.1 volts and total rating is 36.2 volts.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Those batteries are almost completely dead. They are at less than 50% charge and that may be the whole problem. It is the main issue before you can go any further. You need a fully charged pack for troubleshooting. Fully charged 36volt pack is 38.2volts. Need to charge immediately. Plate sulfation is already happening.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
TMetz60
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Rock. I wondered about the batteries. When the cart died, we were driving it and it was just fine. The out of nowhere.....nothing.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

The batteries are hopefully all that's wrong with it!
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:21 AM   #9
Miguel00
Not Yet Wild

Once again this forum saved me an expensive trip to the dealer.
Rocknrone you were spot on! I had the exact same issue as Tmetz with my 2000 Yamaha G16E after the winter. Total rating was 36.1v. No idea why my two pronged charger couldn't do the job but I individually charged each with my battery charger until total rating was 37.3v and then the cart ran! Plugged in overnight w two prong and back in action. I found the battery spec sheet and a multi-meter invaluable. Spec sheet tells you the % charge by battery voltage and with that knowledge I knew when each individual battery was near 90+% and moved on to charge the next one. Voile!
Miguel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:25 AM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Over 10 yrs old dead thread...
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solenoid clicks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha