lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Jtowndc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Converting F/R switch to PDS dash

Hello everyone. I have an EZGO TXT with the forward/reverse switch by my knee. I would like to replace it with the PDS dash mount switch. Will this cause any kind of compatability issues and can it be done?
Jtowndc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting F/R switch to PDS dash

Welcome to BGW!

You have a series cart (Series wound motor) and the total motor current flows through the F/R switch by your knee. It has massive electrical contacts that pass hundreds of Amps.
On the other hand, the controller in PDS carts switches the relative direction of current flow in the motor to reverse directions and the F/R switch on the dash only has milli-amps flowing through it.

To change the type switch used, you also have to change the type controller, type motor and a bunch of cables and wiring.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be easier to sell your series cart and buy a PDS.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Jtowndc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie, I didnt realize there was that big of a difference. I think ill just leave it the way it is. The reason I wanted to switch it is because I have a limo 6 seated and wanted to convert the space under my seat into a cooler.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The other option is to remove the F/R switch and replace it with the proper reversing contactor and the PDS switch can be located in the dash. Take a look at this thread for more info from folks who have done it.
Swaping F&R handle with contactor
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Considering you have a 6 passenger shuttle and want to relocate the F/R assemble so you can you build a cooler in the front seat pod, using a solenoid type F/R assemble would be the way to do it.

In fact, it might even perk up the performance a little because several high current cables will be a lot shorter.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is very easy to do and as JohnnieB mentioned if you mount the reversing contactor back by the motor and controller you could potentially see an improvement in performance by shortening up those leads. If you check out my thread on what I have done to my cart you will see how I mounted my contactor above the motor 2008 EZGO PDS to Series Conversion. I get my SW202 contactors from EVDrives.com and they also have great wiring diagrams. Go ahead and get the diodes with the contactor and select the voltage based on your pack voltage.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Jtowndc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks everyone! Im glad to hear that there is a way. Ive done a lot to my cart and the cooler is just something else on my list. Wouldnt mind the improved performance either. Currently running 23-24 on my GPS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO