lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Unhappy So now i have sparks!

I was having heat problems with my 1990 marathon, now i upgraded to 2 gauge cables. When i took it for a test drive it shot sparks out of, or off of the motor. I know it was from the bottom of the motor from the way it lit up the area and it left molten metal on the ground. Would a broken stud on the motor ground out like that? Im about fed up with this restoration.
+ AXE4855
+ HD solenoid
+ 2 gauge cables
+ 48 volts
+ stock everything else

Last edited by woodrow256; 10-17-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: left a detail out
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: So now i have sparks!

If the stud has turned internally then yes, it's possible for it to short out. If it left molten solder on the ground you need a new motor.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

i could not tell if it was solder. it was glowing spots of metal that took a few seconds to stop glowing. by the time i stopped the cart and got back to where the spots were, it was cooled off and i could not see any residue. the motor still operates good it just threw out sparks twice. now that u mention it i know for a fact that the stud turned before i broke it a while back, and it wiggled around while i was installing the new cables tonight. the time when i broke the stud, when i drove it it slammed into reverse at full speed a few times hard enough to bark the tires. it was during the day so i could not see sparks. it worked fine for weeks after that, until this. i went ahead and sent plumbquik a email to get the ball rolling on the bandit upgrade. i might try some rubber o-rings on that broken stud in case its grounding out on the frame. i would not think that would happen.... but i have a broken stud on my f & r switch too, its so short that the cable lug touches the housing. is that possible?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow256 View Post
i could not tell if it was solder. If solder or base material I would go any further! it was glowing spots of metal that took a few seconds to stop glowing. by the time i stopped the cart and got back to where the spots were, it was cooled off and i could not see any residue. the motor still operates good it just threw out sparks twice. Stop! and trouble shoot this. If a stud has spun to cause these troubles, you have began yourself down a bad path!

now that u mention it i know for a fact that the stud turned before i broke it a while back, and it wiggled around while i was installing the new cables tonight. the time when i broke the stud, when i drove it it slammed into reverse at full speed a few times hard enough to bark the tires. STOP! CAUTION! Detrimental damage to other parts of your cart can happen!

it was during the day so i could not see sparks. it worked fine for weeks after that, until this. i went ahead and sent plumbquik a email to get the ball rolling on the bandit upgrade. i might try some rubber o-rings on that broken stud in case its grounding out on the frame. If the stud has spun enough to pull the internal wiring off of it's internal routing you can cause expensive damage.

i would not think that would happen.... but i have a broken stud on my f & r switch too, its so short that the cable lug touches the housing. is that possible?
Please for the sake of your life and those around you, do not use this cart until you can have these things checked out by either yourself or someone else. The motor needs to be opened and inspected. A spun/broken terminal on the motor is a rather easy fix for someone qualified to do now, but if internal wires break and start pushing battery voltage elsewhere. I just don't want to hear a bad story if I can help it from going further this way.

And if your F-N-R switch is touching the frame? Plus your motors internal wiring is possibly touching the motors case! BOOM!

Sorry Woodrow, I hate to be so heavy and negative but I sure don't want to read of something worse happening to you or your cart.

If you were my neighbor I would force you to use my cart while I fixed yours. I wouldn't let you drive yours at all costs.

Best of luck.
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like good advise to me! My five month old little girl was on there with me when it slammed into reverse that time (she was in a car seat though). it was still scary as hell. I parked it until i was sure it was safe. My wife was with me last night when the motor tryed to welded itself to the frame. She said she aint getting back on it til its fixed proper. I can assure u the motor is coming off today and either going to plumquik or at least to the local place to fix that stud. Good looking out.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Another thing that makes me think direct short is that the 2 gauge cable going to the broke stud on the f&r switch was very warm. Normal motor current draw should not make those new cables hot right?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I took the motor off. The problem was the insulation on one of the wires that lead to the stud inside the case grounded out on the side where it comes out of the case. If that makes sense. The stud had so much play in it that when i put the wrench on the bottom nut it just fell down and was hanging there. I wonder how fast the turnaround is on the plumquick bandit?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

they told me 4 days in there shop, so that plus shipping time
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Good choice Woodrow, Soon your wife can ride with you again
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My motor is with plum quick as i type. Sure cant wait to get it back. Got a new HD f&r switch so there is nothing stock left to do with electrical.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO