lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 Marathon Battery Charger

Good Morning Peeps, I finally got home, changed batteries, cables and tighten up a few things and I think I may be on to a little faster cart. Now The charger may have an issue. When I bought the cart the guy said that it would charge but it cuts off after about 20 minues charging. You can unplug and replug and it'll go back to charging. My first question is if I have the right charger. The label says EX GO Textron. The charger is grey case with green label, output shows 36 volts @ 21 ADC. It has a timer switch on one side and amp guage on the other. I see a Manufactor date but it's really hard to read. I think it says 1989 ( which is the same as the cart).
The bigest problem I think I see is the rate of charge. When plugged into cart, a DVM across batteries show 44 volts. Is that Correct? I wouldn't think so, but then again I'm new.
Okay tell me what other information you need and I'll get that for you. Happy Friday Folks it sure feels good to be home!!!
red848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Taykol
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon Battery Charger

That is the right charger. The DVM will show 44 Volts when batteries are fully charged and charger is still charging or just taken off. This will stabilize after a few hours, up to 12.
The charger should cutoff around 44-46 volts.
Taykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The charger you describe (See attached picture) does match what was supplied with 36V ZGO carts of that vintage, but the earlier and later ones will work also, and there are many aftermarket chargers.

However, shutting off in 20 minutes doesn't sound right, unless you are trying to charge fully charged batteries, and even then, that might be a little quick.

Drive the cart around until the battery voltage is about 37V. That is a 65% State of charge and it should take your charger 4 to 6 hours (or more) to recharge the batteries back to full charge. If it shuts off before 4 hours, there is something wrong, either with the charger, the batteries or the charging loop.

-----------
Yeah, most people are a bit surprised when they find out how high the voltage gets in a 36V battery pack while charging, and that a 36V battery pack that reads 36V is less than 50% charged.

Here is a State of Charge chart showing SoC vs Voltage.

----------

The way the charger should work is when it first comes on, the ammeter should read about 15A to 20A and should stay there for up to about half an hour. Then the amps will decrease down to about 5A to 8A and the slowly decrease down to 2A or 3A for a will before it shuts off.

The on-charge voltage will start at whatever level the batteries were discharged to, climb fairly rapidly to about 42V (the amps will be in the 5A to 8A range at this point) and climb slowly up into the 44V to 46V range where the charger should automatically shout off.

--------------

Let us know what the charge is doing and we'll move on from there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TotalCharge -Green Face.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg StateofChargeChart.jpg (53.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes JB that is the one. Good to hear it's the right one and the volts wasn't wrong on the charge. The batteries are brand new, and I failed to get a reading on them right after install. THis charger was doing the same thing on the old batteries, so I'm thinking it may be a problem.. This week end will be a good time to run the ol girl and let the batteries decharge some and then test to charger. I'll keep the DVM in the cart and test it about every other Beer.. Er.. sorry.. I mean cold drink.

Oh and BTW when I bought the cart I stated it would only go 8-10 Mph, and since new cables and batteries, I seen a constant 11 with an occansional 12 mph. Cant wait to go down a hill somewhere. May have to hold on to my hat!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
red848
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I checked the batteries and right now they are all 6.37. Okay now I get to ride and do some more checks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO