lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
TheAspec
Gone Wild

Default Re: Got my PQ bandit back today. Got some concerns.

I had PQ do a motor for me in a 2003 Club Car DS. Like you, I picked up about 2 MPH, however the regen braking was gone and the torque increase was nice. I have since sold that cart, all stock, controller, wires, except for the PQ motor. I never got the 5-10 MPH like some claimed but after talking with PQ it seems the ones getting all that extra MPH had really bad bushings and the cart, in the case of Club Car anyways, were not programmed for top speed of 19.5 MPH from the factory. So image someone with a cart programmed to go 13.5 MPH and they slap a PQ rebuilt motor in -- that would be a "felt in your seat" improvement.

In the case of rewinding and refreshing the motor, I think PQ does an excellent job. But if your motor was not that bad to begin with, what more can they do really? Just being realistic here, not defending PQ or stating your expectations are wrong.
TheAspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Dont get me wrong, im not bashing plum quick. They are as good as it gets in the golf cart world. Its my fault for having unreal expectations. For the $ it cost, the paint and sticker job is worth that! Plus I know it has more torque than before, its just hard to measure without a dyno. I may be looking into some faster gears to use that extra torque. Thanks for all the responses yall.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
rib33024

so when you upgraded from 36 volts to 48 volts, were you running the 36v motor on the new 48 volts??, or did you put a 48 volt motor in it??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I was running 48v before I sent it to plum quick.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

This thing seriously has way more umph in reverse. It spins the tires on pavement easily, in foward not even a chirp. Is something wrong with the wiring or something. I need that kinda pull in the other direction!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you've got the high current cables going to the stator windings reversed.
You can either switch them at the motor (S1 & S2) or at the F/R switch (B & D, which are at 9 & 3 o'clock)

If you want full power reverse, you can also disconnect the two small gauge wires from the Pot Box the the microswitch on the F/R assembly.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Changing those wire just reversed my f&r switch. What I mean is my cart pulls harder in reverse. Not the half speed thing, its disabled. Its like the motor has its own 3/4 speed foward going on. Idk.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow256 View Post
Changing those wire just reversed my f&r switch. What I mean is my cart pulls harder in reverse. Not the half speed thing, its disabled. Its like the motor has its own 3/4 speed foward going on. Idk.
It has something to do with the motor timing ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow256 View Post
That means the typical reasons a cart goes faster and/or has more torque in reverse than it has in forward have been eliminated, so the root cause is far more sublime.

The series wound motors used in golf carts are designed to operate equally as well in both directions and I doubt that PQ could accidentally alter the geometry of the magnetic fields enough to make a golf cart motor produce a significantly different amount of torque rotating clockwise than it does rotating counterclockwise with the same voltage applied and same current flow through the windings.

However it might be possible, so until proven otherwise, the motor is on the suspect list.

The two other likely suspects are:
* Different voltage applied to motor in forward than reverse.
* Different mechanical drag in forward than reverse.

Securely attach DVM test leads on the controller's M- and B+ terminals and have someone monitor voltage being applied to motor while the cart is being driven at max speed forward and max speed reverse. Driving at max speed in reverse might be a bit thrilling, so find a steep incline to climb.
(If fact, that would be better anyways, we are looking for the voltage being applied at max effort.)

If the applied voltage is the same in both directions, push the cart forward and backward across a hard level surface.
If it feels the same, put a bathroom scale between your hands and the cart and read the pounds while pushing.

If the voltage applied to the motor is the same in both directions and the pounds of effort needed to push cart in both directions are the same, its time to have motor tested on a dynamometer.

Actually, it this point, I'd get on the phone with PQ and tell them them (if it is true) that you have the same voltage applied in forward and reverse at max effort and it take the same number of pounds to push cart forward and backwards.
I suspect they will want you to ship the ,motor back to them for testing.

It might be a good idea to give them a call right away, since they may some specific tests they would like for you to do.

One thing is for sure, this isn't a common problem.

Let us know.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO