lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Key Switch/Voltage Reducer question

Agreed, the solenoid activation circuit is subject to massive voltage spikes. That's not the kind of supply you want.

Use the battery main supply. These are the only 2 posts which do not connect to another battery. White is positive and is closest to the front of the cart on the passenger side. If you want a switched supply for the relay, go from the keyswitch .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
timbo73
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have 99 series txt and am attempting to use my stock soleniod with my key switch to power up my voltage reducer. I am having a hard time understanding how to wire this up. I can get the solenoid to close using the 36 volts off the key switch. However, I don't understand how to wire up the two large post of the solenoid to the voltage reducer. Also, do I need to use the resistor and diode that was on the stock solenoid? Anyone have a wiring diagram of this setup?
timbo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You need just the diode on the small terminals.
You definitely do not want the resistor installed.

If you've got the solenoid clicking when the key is turned on, you are almost there.

The voltage reducer has two wire that attach to the main terminals of the battery pack.
Pick one or the other and attach it to one of the big terminals on the solenoid.
Attach the other big terminal on solenoid to the battery pack terminal that the wire to the reducer was originally attached to.

The solenoid is simply a switch that has a electromagnetic coil instead of the toggle lever.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
timbo73
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB thanks for the quick reply. One more question does the direction of the diode matter?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The banded end goes to the terminal the the wire from the Keyswitch attaches to.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
timbo73
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I got my voltage reducer working with my stock solenoid using the key switch as the activation circuit. However, with the key in the on position the solenoid opens when switching the F&R lever. I suspect this is because the wire on the "B" post on the switch is connected to the MS2 switch on the F&R switch. Does the F&R switch interrupt the power to the key switch? Can this condition be avoided?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your suspicion is correct.
Here is a schematic with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted.
As you see, B+ goes to MS-2 on the F/R assembly before it goes to the Keyswitch.
If you re-route the wiring so B+ goes to the Keyswitch before it goes to MS-2, shifting between F and R wouldn't cause the drop-out, however that would mean changing where some wires are connected and maybe running some more wires.

I've never done it, and don't have the same type motor drive (mine's a PDS) so I can't tell you what wires to move where. Sorry.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You need just the diode on the small terminals.
You definitely do not want the resistor installed.

If you've got the solenoid clicking when the key is turned on, you are almost there.

The voltage reducer has two wire that attach to the main terminals of the battery pack.
Pick one or the other and attach it to one of the big terminals on the solenoid.
Attach the other big terminal on solenoid to the battery pack terminal that the wire to the reducer was originally attached to.

The solenoid is simply a switch that has a electromagnetic coil instead of the toggle lever.
Johnnie - what does the diode do for a contactor? I am using a contactor on my key switch to turn on my voltage reducers too
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtwice View Post
Johnnie - what does the diode do for a contactor? I am using a contactor on my key switch to turn on my voltage reducers too
The diode doesn't do anything for the contactor (solenoid), it protects whatever is turning the electromagnet (coil) off.

When the contactor is energized, a strong magnetic field is developed by the coil, closing the contacts.
When the contactor is de-energized, that magnetic field collapses, creating a huge spike of voltage with the opposite polarity of the voltage that created it.
This happens in nano-seconds while the switch turning the coil off is mechanical and moves at a much slower speed, so the voltage spike impinges on the opening switch contacts while they are still in close proximity and may arc across them, shortening their useful lifespan.

The diode is reverse biased when the energizing voltage is applied (Cathode - banded end - is facing the positive voltage) and forward biased when the magnetic field collapses.
Basically, the diode shorts the spike back into the coil where it is dissipated harmlessly.

The contactor will work just fine without the diode, but whatever is turning it off will fail sooner.

-------------
On the other hand, the resistor across the main terminals of contactors used in golf carts and similar applications, protects the contactor's contacts, but should not be used when the contactor is being used to turn something like a voltage reducer on/off.

The controller contains a bunch of filter capacitors whose voltage bleeds off with time and the initial charge current for a capacitor approaches infinity, so without the "Precharge" resistor keeping those capacitors charged, the peak current flow through the contactor's contacts would be huge the moment they close and arcing and melting could occur.

A voltage reducer might have some filter capacitors in it, but no where near the size of those in a speed controller and we want to shut the voltage reducer completely off when the contactor is de-energized.

--------
Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The converter from EZGO I installed on my RXV had 3 wires. Red to + battery pack, Black to - battery pack, and orange to the non-battery side of the solenoid (opposite).

Evidently it is using the switched side of the solenoid (48V) to provide a signal to the converter to operate, but getting the power from the battery pack. After turning off the key, the lights remain on for about 2 minutes then the converter trips off. When turning the key on the lights start once again.

As this is an OEM Converter from EZGO specifically for my RXV I assumed all was well. Do I have someting else to worry about that I am missing?
MiltonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO