lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
toyogran
Not Yet Wild

Default TURF 2 XRT uncontrolable!

Hello from across the pond!
New to the forum but see that there are some experts here that might be able to help me!
Bought a CC with FE350 engine. Starts OK but just leaps forward after the engine has started and there is no control with the GO pedal.
Could someone tell me should the CC engine idle and the cart stay stationary after you have started it with the GO pedal and then engage drive when you press the GO pedal further?
It looks like there is no spring on the carb to hold the butterfly shut (have checked it's there!) but the spring holes that are there don't look as though they will hold it closed?
Does the quadrant in the box between the battery and engine (with the 2 micro switches) have anything to do with the speed control?
Can anybody give me link to a service manual for setting up the carb etc and getting it running properly?
Hope you can help nearly ran over the dog today!
Cool machine be great when sorted.
Thanks a lot.
toyogran is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: TURF 2 XRT uncontrolable!

Are you saying that it is basically full throttle or nothing? If that is the case one common issue is a busted (or stuck) butterfly valve in the carb. You can pull the air intake off the carb and take a look at the butterfly, it is somewhat common for half of the butterfly to break off and create the full throttle all the time issue.

The cart won't "idle" like a car where you can sit there with your foot off the pedal and the car stays running but stationary. With a golf cart the motor only starts when you engage the pedal. However you should be able to push the pedal in slightly and just putt-putt (no pun intended) along slowly which it sounds like you can't.

Now, if I misunderstood your issue and you are having issues with the cart lurching when you first take off (like it's hard for you to accelerate slow and steady becuase the carts inital take off is very jerky) but then you can drive at a steady speed once it gets going than the butterfly issue probably isn't your problem. That issue could be a few different things but I'll let you clearify before we get into that.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
toyogran
Not Yet Wild

Thanks 'shoelessjoe' for your response and assistance.
At least I know what it should do now and not expect the engine to 'idle' when stationary like an automobile.
The engine does start OK when you give the gas pedal a push half way to the floor but at the same time the CC lurches forward and the only way to control it is to take your foot off the gas (and the engine cuts out) so you have to push the GO pedal down again and off it goes again!
I have taken the carb off and checked the butterfly and that looks intact and operates ok when the throttle spindle is turned.
One thing I did notice was that the throttle spring seems to keep the butterfly partly open rather than keeping it closed against the screwd stop. I fitted a different spring so that it would keep the butterfly closed with your foot off the gas pedal but it didn't seem to make much difference.
I note that the quadrant arm in the control box actuates 2 limit switches and find that if I hold one open the engine stays running and then if I rev it the clutch engages and the wheels start driving.
So, given that the CC should 'stop and start' can you help me with the correct setup procedure for the quadrant limit switches or other things which may cause the kangarooing I've got.
Appreciate any advice you may have and will try anything which you may think might help. See lots of references on the forum to the adjustment of the cable into the control box but noy sure about the correct adjustment.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

It still sounds like your throttle is wide open. I would check and see if the govenor has been monkey'd with at all. A quick and easy way to defeat the govenor is to put a zip tie around the arm so it will hold the throttle wide open and not allow the govenor to kick in. I don't know the exact cable route or layout for your cart but if you follow the throttle cable back towards the transaxle you should see where it hooks into the govenor assembly. Take a look and see if there are any zip ties or other home made adjustments visible.

My cart has the FE290 in it so I don't know if things are the same to the FE350 but the attached picture is how my cable was adjusted stock. It may be a starting point for you in terms of checking the cable adjustment.

If everything checks out with the throttle cable operation the next step would be to start checking your clutch operation and make sure they are operating smoothly. A clutch issue wouldn't explain a full time wide open issue but it could explain the jerky start that makes the cart feel like it is wide open.

If it is really launching at take off something is either holding the throttle or you're having issue with your clutches operating smoothly. Stock carts aren't really known for pulling crazy hole shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle cable.jpg (12.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
toyogran
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again shoelessjoe.
Can't see anything restricting the governor and it seems to move ok. Have had the carb and linkage off and put a stronger return spring on the butterfly to make sure it closes properly (but still opens when you floor the gas pedal).
Have checked the limit switches on the quadrant arm and these seem to switch ok.
How do I tell if the clutch is worn out? The rubber bits look pretty new and when running engages and disengages ok. The drive on the output shaft of the engine clangs in when you push the gas pedal down. I presume this is correct? I have ordered a new big drive belt as the original looks worn.
Will set the throttle cable as your pic and check it out again when the new belt turns up. Will keep you posted!
Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

^^^^

Shouldn't really be too much of a clank when you engage your clutches. The easiest way to see how they are working is to jack the rear end up off the ground and run the cart while watching the clutches open and close as you speed up and slow down. Operation should be smooth and consistent and it something is really sticking you should be able to notice it.

Keep safety in mind while running the cart on jackstands, don't need a runaway cart doing damage to objects or bystanders it something goes wrong.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car