lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Installing Cig lighter

I'm installing a Cig lighter on the rig for my cell phone/ipod charger. I checked the wiring diagram, but I just wanted to double check.

I can just tap into the red and black wires off the ignition switch and be fine right?

its an 88.
thanks,
Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Installing Cig lighter

I'm not sure of wire color, but yes, I used a volt meter and tapped in right behind the key switch and run GPS and charge phone without a problem. Have it wired with no power when the key is off as to avoid draining the battery.
Check out my #3 post - first picture - shows where I mounted mine
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...-mount-cc.html
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I was checking out the wiring diagram stickey and i'm thinking its the red coming into the switch. I don't have a volt meter... anyone know for sure?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
___Brandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

For something that draws a fair amount of current, like a cig lighter, I would run a new wire all the way to the battery. Place a fuse right at the + battery terminal for safety.

Doing it this way will eliminate the possibility of harming the carts existing wiring.
___Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

I added a 10amp in line fuse off the key switch and all good. Going directly to the battery is also good but I like knowing when I turn off the key, all power is off to prevent battery drain.
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I took the "ballsy" approach and just wired it into the red and black on the back of the Ignition. works like a charm!

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar5 View Post
I added a 10amp in line fuse off the key switch and all good. Going directly to the battery is also good but I like knowing when I turn off the key, all power is off to prevent battery drain.
If you are running through the key switch, you should install no more than a 2 amp fuse. Any more current than that could burn up the key switch. Two amps should be enough for light duty devices such as cell phones, gps, etc. If you need more than that, install a relay off the key switch or a direct fused lead from the battery.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by etech View Post
If you are running through the key switch, you should install no more than a 2 amp fuse. Any more current than that could burn up the key switch. Two amps should be enough for light duty devices such as cell phones, gps, etc. If you need more than that, install a relay off the key switch or a direct fused lead from the battery.

Ed
I installed at 10amp fuse also... hmmmm... so your worrying about a back feed from the cellphone or charging device?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney View Post
I installed at 10amp fuse also... hmmmm... so your worrying about a back feed from the cellphone or charging device?
No, a low current device such as a cell phone or gps would be fine. The concern is that the ignition switch will most likely not carry more than a few amps safely. If you were to plug in a high current device such as a cigarette lighter, high power sound system, or high power flood lights, the ignition switch may fail before the fuse you have installed would fail.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
96clubber
Gone Wild

Club Car

i put relay in there for safety. i trusted a guy on this site for the wiring of it up. so far no problems
96clubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car