lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
macz
Not Yet Wild

Default 88 wont start anymore

I have a 1988 that wont start anymore, has run great since i got it free 2 months ago. A couple weeks ago i was using it off and on most of the day then went to start it one more time and it wouldnt start all it would do is crank over. i have since done everything i can think of to get it going, need some help trying to get it running again.

compression check reads 125
ohm reading on pulsar coil 145 and looks to be in good shape
has good spark at plug and have replaced it with new plug, seems to be getting gas to it to
have taken fuel pump apart to check it out even tho it is pumping gas, all looked good didnt see any holes or cracks
have taken carb apart and cleaned it all out with air and small wire
tried starting it with exhaust off and have noticed some gas spray out pipe but not start up
took out reed valves and they looked good
battery is new and in good shape
wont fire with starting fluid either
i am still using the stock oiler so gas isnt premixed

i have read all i can find and tried all i can to get it going again.... not sure where to go from here, im thinking maybe carb is shot? crankseals?

this is a great forum and have learned alot from all of you just need some help with this one thx
macz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: 88 wont start anymore

If it doesn't fire over on starting fluid then i'd be guessing it's a spark/ignition issue, maybe it's flooding out.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #3
macz
Not Yet Wild

thx for help but im not sure what else to check on the ignition side of it. i have pulled the fan and everything and looked at the pulsar coil and it seems to be alright, i read on here about making sure it was centered on the mounting bracket(is that right?) Also read somewhere where you can test it with ohm meter and it came back at 145 which i believe was a sign it was good. have replaced spark plug with correct one and spark plug wire to. not sure how to check the other ignition parts. pulled the plug and grounded it and it is sparking just fine, was wondering if it was in time which is why i thought id check out the pulsar coil. it maybe flooding out tho which is why i was thinking something to do with the fuel delivery. is there some more tests i can do to the ignition or anything else i can try? dont want to spend more money then i have to right now buying parts i may not need.... thx
Old 09-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

About the only way to change the timing so it doesn't work is for the flywheel/fan to move off its placement so the magnet passes the pickup at the wrong time. If the spark plug is dry and working and it's firing at the right time, yet it won't fire off with starting fluid, then the mix is not making its way into the cylinder. Some of the things that can cause that, bad crank seals, engine case full of gas, stopped up muffler.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome to the forum macz................
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
macz
Not Yet Wild

thx for the welcome..... i think i will order new crankseals and then give it a try. my spark seems to be working fine and have had the muffler off so mite as well replace the seals and work up from there.

thx for the help..... any other thoughts while i wait for the seals to arrive?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
macz
Not Yet Wild

got the crankseals installed and there wasnt much change..... decided to pull engine and have a look at it. i noticed fuel around the base of cylinder and some oil at top of head. pulled the head and the base gasket was blown. so now i have ordered all the gaskets for the engine and will see what happens after that. i would just order a top end rebuild kit but cant afford that right now and everything inside looks good.so now i wait for new gaskets to arrive and hopefully that will fix my problems anything i should do while i have it apart or any tricks to installing the gaskets? thanks for the help with everything so far...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
macz
Not Yet Wild

just thought id update my problem... so far i have done all of the above in first post and the following,

replaced crankseals- no difference
replaced bad gaskets on head (base and head)- no difference
made sure piston rings were installed right when put back together
replaced reed and intake gaskets - no difference
made sure crankcase bolts were tight, all good
cleaned engine while it was out - no difference except it looks alot better.. lol

after all that it remained the same just cranking over, i was getting spark to plug and everytime i pulled plug to check for spark it was wet. figured the carb maybe shot so ordered new one. while waiting for it to arrive i would try to start it occasionaly, got it to run and able to rev for a few minutes then it it died and decided not to start again. new carb came today, got it installed thinking that this was going to be the fix ...... nope ezgo still nogo

now im back to where i started.... still have good compression, good spark, and gas to plug. this is pretty wierd cart ran great before all of this happened no problems at all. what do you guys think.... time to move on to ignition parts? where should i go from here?

the good news from all this is i came across an old 77 harley 4 wheel gas cart that just needed a carb rebuild and front end alignment got it for free doesnt ride as good as my ezgo but at least it runs.....
Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
rogggair
Not Yet Wild

Buy new gas, put in container above carb, feed directly into carb inlet...
rogggair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

did you try running it without the muffler?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO