lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
hazzyy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Starter Generator Bolt broken

Explanation: Does anyone have any ideas for my issue? I have a 2005 Club Car DS Gas. I live on a small island so everything rusts. The ring terminal that attaches one of the wires to the starter broke. Unfortunately the nuts on the stud on the starter were extremely rusted. I used ever chemical and spray I could use but nothing made the nut easy to get off. Needless to say the stud broke off. I have about 1/4 inch of the stud there but the threads are pretty much nothing. I've screwed the nut on but I doubt it will last a day.

Question: Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the stud if I take the starter apart? It's the bolt on the top right of this pic.

hazzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starter Generator Bolt broken

if im not mistaken it will be a square head bolt that goes through that plastic rubber boot see if you can get it out and maybe get a brass bolt to go though or and cut the head down as needed with a zip wheel or file you just have to be creative when resources limited you can do it make it work, other wise let me know i will have to mail a bolt to ya
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am assuming this small island does not have a welder and the general store does not carry loctite? Maybe someone that has had one apart will be able to help more. Oh, everything rusts on this island I call Wisconsin also
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have a starter/generator from an older one that is only good for a core. I presume I could tear it apart and send you one.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
hazzyy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well...I think I was able to fix it. I put on a new terminal ring connector on the wire. There wasn't much thread on the bolt but I loosely put on the nut and then JBwelded (yes good old jb weld) the nut down. Then I put about a 1/4" bead of solder from the wire to the bolt. Seems to be good yesterday and all day so far today. We'll see how it holds up.

GAC - Is the bolt connected to the core permanently? Is there anyway to just swap the bolt from one core to the next?

clubcar5 - If you saw the "local" work here you would understand. My buddy was getting a sandwich sign board made and the welder didn't remove the plexiglass before welding some tabs on it. The plexiglass just slid right out, was easy to remove. Instead this guy welds on the four tabs and melts the plexi in four spots. Forethought and thinking isn't a common sight around these parts... Times like this I wish I had a Home Depot or Lowes around the corner.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
GAC
Getting Wild

Club Car

I have no idea how the bolt is connected inside. I have not tore it open. Glad yours is working out ok.
GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
hazzyy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok...thanks. Was just wondering to see if maybe it's worth my time to track down a replacement bolt. From the parts fiche's I've seen so far those bolts don't have their own part number. I'm thinking they're soldered to something inside the starter casing. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

J&B weld you know what that J&B stands for don't you ?

It was Junk and I Broke it but its ok but I two tubes and when i mix them together i make magic liquid ductape.
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzyy View Post
clubcar5 - If you saw the "local" work here you would understand. My buddy was getting a sandwich sign board made and the welder didn't remove the plexiglass before welding some tabs on it. The plexiglass just slid right out, was easy to remove. Instead this guy welds on the four tabs and melts the plexi in four spots. Forethought and thinking isn't a common sight around these parts... Times like this I wish I had a Home Depot or Lowes around the corner.

Glad to hear your up and running at least for now - Thanks for the laugh with your "local" welding!
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

What island are you on and how big? Is it like a Hawaiian, or Alaskan, or what? Or outside US? Just curious.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car