lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
streeb42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Parts to keep handy

Greetings,

I am rather new here and am the owner of a 1989 DS. I am the director of a summer camp for special needs children and use my Club Car to cover many acres including some rather steep hills.

Years ago I drove a VW and was used to carrying tools and a few spare parts, but since I am still rather new to the Club Car, I was wondering if there are tools or specific parts that should be carried on the vehicle to prevent being stranded way out away from the office, especially if an emergency was to arise.

I guess this goes back to my Boy Scout days of "Be Prepared." Any input from you more experienced with the older Club Car DS is greatly appreciated!

Dale Streble
Director Camp Freedom
Lions Camp Crescendo
streeb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Re: Parts to keep handy

If I were to be prepared, I'd say:

Extra spark plug
Couple feet of fuel line
Fuel filter(s)
Some of those smaller sized fuel hose clamps
generator belt
possibly an extra drive belt
Bunch of zip ties

Maybe that's too much, but that's all I could think of. :)
Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Anything with a drive belt should carry a backup belt as part of it's tool kit. With a cart I'd even consider a spare starter/generator belt as well. May as well buy a new drive belt and a new start/gen belt as standard maintenance and then keep the old ones as your spares for the kit.

A spare spark plug (along with the socket needed to remove the current plug) should also be carried as part of any tool kit on a vehicle with a small engine. Four strokes are pretty good on plugs but I'd hate to be stranded for a 45 second swap if I needed a plug.

Here are a few other things I'd carry for a kit:

- ratchet with 1/2, 9/16, 7/16 sockets (those are the common sizes on my cart, yours may be different)
- Adjustable wrench
- Screwdriver with interchangeable phillips and standard bits
- Zip ties (of varying sizes preferably)
- A few hose clamps of applicable sizes
- A few nut/bolt combo's of applicable sizes
- tow strap (a good quality ratchet strap is a good item to carry. Can double as a tow strap if needed or be used to hold something broken in place to limp back home)
- battery-less flashlight (meaning a flashlight that doesn't need batteries to operate, they have several options available.

That is a basic list that can be stored in a relatively small container and be stored easily on the cart somewhere. There are still things that could go wrong and leave you stranded (if your motor blows, rear end locks up, etc you're screwed regardless of what you have on board) but that will cover most of your basic breakdowns.

I snowmobile in the winter and you'd be amazed at what guys can do with a basic tool kit. Some of the redneck fixes that I've seen/read about/been part of are pretty ridiculous but if it gets you back to the trailer it's all good.
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
streeb42
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input. I know from driving a VW to always carry a variety of things including stuff like aluminum foil in the summer to the wrap the fuel lines to keep them from vapor locking. Haven't seen anywhere on here where that is an issue on these though.

I was thinking about modifications, but I don't really want to raise it, but then golf carts have traversed most of the since it opened as a band camp in 1960. Mud and water can be a problem though. I had it out on the back side of Camp through some mud last weekend and now she's not wanting to run. Don't know if somthing got clogged up or what as she was running beautifully before then!
streeb42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Cell Phone ??

All good ideas.. I have been toying with the idea of an adjustable v belt like the ones used in saws in case the SG belt lets go. Would be much easier to change out in the woods. $25 from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car