lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
fastcarsspeed
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacing all Cables

So I did a search and came up fruitless. I have read many threads and they talk about it but not really indepth. When upgrading cables on a cart should you upgrade all the cables? How many cables are there when doing this?

1. All Battery Cables
2. Cables from Battery to Controller
3. Cables from Controller to Motor.

So would you do like 4ga or 2ga for all of them in order to have the same resistence from battery to motor? Also when thinking about this does it make sense to upgrade the cables from the charger port to the batteries also? Would there be any benefit to this?

Since I am raising my 36v PDS and putting 21" tires on it my first thing is to upgrade my cables and then work on the funds for a updated controller. Just thought this would be a good discussion.
fastcarsspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Replacing all Cables

fastcarsspeed, YES, you need to upgrade ALL of the High Current cables. NO, that does not include the wires from the charger port to the batteries.

seeing as how you plan on upgrading the controller, you also need to upgrade the solenoid as well. which solenoid will determine the size (amp rating) of the controller you need/want.

Where you can get it all ....... I highly recommend CartsUnlimited.net (scottyb's place) you can get the best cables on the market there, as well as one of his Controller Packages, seeing as you have a PDS, either the Pkg 808 or 909 will do ya.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

at least 4 ga.....2 ga is better, their 10 cables.

Scottyb (cartsunlimited.net) has sets already made up for your application.
should be either Kit #10 or #11 depending on the size cable you want.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DCS & PDS = 10 cables
Series catrs = 13 cables
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
fastcarsspeed
Not Yet Wild

Yes I have look at Scottys site and that is what really brought up the discussion was just understanding the cable upgrades and other users that have round about asked questions. Since searching the forums extensively when I tried to look at replace cables I thought this made more sense. So Below is what I have listed.

PDS:
1. Battery cables = 5
2. Battery to controller Cables = 2
3. Controller to Solenoid = 1
4. Solenoid to Motor = 2

Series: (Need some help with this one as I know the F/R switch plays a role but don't know enough to get right LOL. )

1. Battery cables = 5

Does that sound correct? My Father Inlaw has a series Cart that is lifted and bigger tires. I know he needs to upgrade too as he just killed in F/R switch with the new tires. Just want to be smart on this stuff for him also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCXpdscontroller-1.jpg (84.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2052_zpsccee67ab.jpg (117.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

if you buy a cable set from Scottyb, he supplies you with a numbered diagram and the cables themselves are numbered as well so its pretty much P-N-P.

the picture on the right above, of the Alltrax SPM controller is the style I have in my cart, but I have the Super Duty Solenoid, not the smaller one shown.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
fastcarsspeed
Not Yet Wild

Sir I hear ya and just want to have some information in this thread that can be searched in the future for people that just want to understand what is replaced when all cables are updated. Thats why I put in the numbered lists so people have an understanding of what the cables are for and their basic placement. One thing I will not for people is that Scotty's Price is great compared to someone doing it themselves. When I priced out 2 ga Welding cable, plugs, heat shrink wrap, solder and such the cost is not bad at all. This thread I hope explains the cables. If anyone has a better picture of a series cart with an upgraded controller please drop it in here.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the install diagrams will cover your questions, pics like those above do little to help you wire your cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AXE-Series-Cable-install-diagram-#1-net.jpg (312.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CC AXE CU F&R customer.jpg (157.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CC F&R Series diagram stock F&R.jpg (191.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CC IQ Cable Diagram #1.jpg (241.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ezgo Sepex.pdf (662.3 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO