lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Aussiebob
Not Yet Wild

Default Advice please re: hot batteries

Yesterday I gave the batteries in my CC 97 DS a good service. Just the usual, checked the water, cleaned cable terminals, gave a good baking soda scrub and rinse to affected terminals.
Went back today to do some other work and noticed the charger was still sitting on 10amps and thought maybe it was just doing a quick top up charge.
When I lifted the seat, I found the tops of the batteries were all wet and the whole system was extremely HOT!!!
I unplugged the charger, and even disconnected a couple of cables to let the batteries cool down. Went back 3 hours later and they were still very warm to touch, but I'm thinking it may take a long time for heat to dissipate from the plastic covers and lead plates. Tested the voltage and all were showing full charge.
I'll go back tomorrow and see if it runs OK.
Any idea what may have gone wrong?? Thanks
Aussiebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Default Re: Advice please re: hot batteries

Did you fill the batteries before you charged them? Sounds like they boiled over
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Sounds like your OBC may have gone bad. The OBC is a module within the cart that controls the charger functions. They are known to be troublesome.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

With your batteries getting that hot, I would say you have a charger problem or a bad battery causing the charger to charge at a high rate without shutting down.

Or since I don't know much about club cars, you should listen to G man above. LOL
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

I think you overfilled the batteries.
Also it sounds like one or more bats are in bad shape. I would have checked the pack voltage while on charge to see if it is increasing or not. Obc shuts charger off at about 65 volts on a 48 volt cart. I had a bad bat once and the charger would run around 4 amps until the auto shutoff which I think is 16 hours.
Check all bats individually about 12 to 24 hours after charge and see what you have.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

I missed the part about the charger still being on. Check all batts if they are all good then I would suspect obc not turning off - causing batts to boil over
Old 01-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Aussiebob
Not Yet Wild

Thanks everyone for your guidance. I think the batteries are the problem. I went up this morning and took readings 8.31 8.25 8.25 .8.25 8.16 8.26. From the Trojan chart it looks like they are running a 60 -70%. The hydrometer readings were all in the FAIR range. Batts are 5 1/2 years old.
Cart shuddered a bit before take off and stalled at top of ramp from our golf shed. After that it ran well although the battery charge light came on each time I accelerated.
Time for new batteries I think. Taking it for 18 hole this afternoon so see what happens.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Yes sounds like batts. Dont be surprised if you dont make it through 18
Old 01-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Aussiebob
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sunoco, but since it's Australia Day today, there will be plenty of beer on board to ease the pain.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car