lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

Default Acceptable at rest drop?

Ok, i know I need batteries and they are coming when the wallet can handle it, but my new volt meter has me questioning everything now.

What is an acceptable drop? I plugged in the cart Sunday for an afternoon planned run around the neighborhood. As of yesterday morning the cart showed 38.1 and this morning was 37.9. So rough calculation of .2 drop per 18 hours with F/R in neutral and key off.

Is there an acceptable, or am I just continuing to prove my batteries are shot?
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Acceptable at rest drop?

The meter is simply proving what you already know. The battery pack can only hold 90% of a full charge.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It is called self discharge and there is a little parasitic discharge going on also.

As a general rule of thumb Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge at about 1% per day. The self-discharge rate varies by battery brand and age and other factors, Also they self-discharge faster in hot weather than they do in cold weather.

Your battery pack dropped from 97% down to 91% in 18 hours, so they are discharging at 8% per day, which is pretty high, but is likely mostly due to age.

Some parasitic discharge is normal since the resistor across the large solenoid terminals keep the filter capacitors in the controller charged and it isn't at all unusual to have a conductive layer of dust, dirt and other debris on the battery tops.

I agree with Scotty, the batteries are only charging to about 90% SoC and are on their last legs.

FWIW: Self-discharge plus parasitic discharge for the battery pack in my cart, when the batteries were new, was 1.1%/day.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I don't know squat bout a flashlight ,but been readin what these guys know and I would listen to them for sure.......
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO