lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: high pressure tires

I'm not sure where to draw the line for Low Pressure vs High Pressure, but my guess is about 15PSI.

I can't remember who, but one forum member had some speed loss with 14PSI tires, so you might see a little with 18PSI tires, but probably not much.

There are other variables also. IE: Width and tread pattern.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle, I'm kind of thinking that myself. I figured the wider the tire the more rolling resistance a cart would have. I kind of thought of it like a bicycle, you take one w/ narrow tires and take the same bicycle but w/ wider tires and pedal both to 20mph and stop pedaling. The one w/ the narrow tires will coast further than the one w/ the wider tires. Using that theory, I got 23x8x12's. If I get the other set of rims I'll prob. get 25x8x12 to swap around with. Wonder what would happen if you put around 18-20psi in a tire rated for 7psi. Kaboom?
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #13
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB, when I started the last post yours wasn't there yet. It takes me a tad bit longer to type than most I guess. I've seen a couple that were 18psi that I liked pretty good but, haven't made my mind up yet. I might end up getting a set like I've got now but in 25".
Old 04-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Again, I know nothing about tires, but what we're really talking about is rolling resistance correct? I'm assuming that the more rubber on the road, the more rolling resistance. Wouldn't the stiffness and width and tread pattern matter more than pressure?
Rolling resistance is the end result, but there are several factors that add up to the rolling resistance, so it is a combination of inflation pressure, sidewall flex, tread width and tread pattern, plus some others probably. I don't know which ones are the greater contributing factors.

Perhaps sidewall stiffness offsets low air pressure. Maybe a mile wide tread is more efficient than a narrower aggressive tread.

The vehicles setting Land Speed records at Bonneville had skinny tires with no tread and extreme inflation pressures.
Dune-buggies have wide tires that are barely inflated with treads that will shake your teeth out if drive on a hard surface.

It depends on what you want to do with your cart.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
yurtle, I'm kind of thinking that myself. I figured the wider the tire the more rolling resistance a cart would have. I kind of thought of it like a bicycle, you take one w/ narrow tires and take the same bicycle but w/ wider tires and pedal both to 20mph and stop pedaling. The one w/ the narrow tires will coast further than the one w/ the wider tires. Using that theory, I got 23x8x12's. If I get the other set of rims I'll prob. get 25x8x12 to swap around with. Wonder what would happen if you put around 18-20psi in a tire rated for 7psi. Kaboom?
Quote:
Thanks JohnnieB, when I started the last post yours wasn't there yet. It takes me a tad bit longer to type than most I guess. I've seen a couple that were 18psi that I liked pretty good but, haven't made my mind up yet. I might end up getting a set like I've got now but in 25".
I type slow also.

The standard cart tire is 18x8.50-8, so your tires are actually 0.5" thinner.
However, what is marked on the sidewall seldom matches the actual mounted dimensions of the tire, other than rim size.

Running at double the max inflation pressure stamped on tire is iffy, but tripling it might be asking for trouble. One thing is for sure, the center of the tread will wear out first.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll be either on a fairly hard packed dirt road or highway so I might just go w/ the 25" version of what I have now, their rated 20 or 22psi. Don't really want to slow down any if I can help it.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The only reason I was questioning pressure vs. stiffness is I'm assuming some folks are using tires that may not be golf cart specific. I may be wrong, but a higher pressure tire designed for a lighter load MAY flex more than a lower pressure tire designed for a heavier load. This would affect how much rubber is on the road, but in actuality, it may be insignificant.

Merely a thought.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Wonder what would happen if you put around 18-20psi in a tire rated for 7psi. Kaboom?
No, no kaboom. I ran 15psi in tires rated for 5psi because of the high weight of that particular golf cart. No issues whatsoever with the higher pressure. Mind you, running higher pressure doesn't make it a high pressure tire either.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #19
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Sportcoupe, how much reduction in speed did you lose w/ the change?
It wasn't much, something like 2 mph but I should have went faster some, not slower by going from 23" to 26" tires. That was the point of my post. I had the power also so I blame the ATV tires.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #20
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll probably stick to a all-trail high psi tire. I'm happy w/ my speed now and definitely don't want to slow her down any. Dang it, why don't some of the atv tire companies make some versions in high pressure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO